3. Magellan
We sailed on the Astor 30 years ago for our honeymoon, and she is now owned by CMV, we decided to choose this company for our anniversary cruise, as we haven't cruised since! I'm pleased to say we weren't disappointed, as every aspect of the holiday was first class. Embarkation at Port of Tyne was smooth and impressive, with no queueing or hold ups, and we were in our cabin in record time. Our cabin, 5079, was conveniently located just beside reception, and was perfect for our needs. It was an outside cabin with a picture window, plenty of room, and kept spotlessly clean. It also had plenty of storage space, and the bathroom was big enough too, with a nice hot shower. It was also quiet, we couldn't hear any engine noise, and slept well every night, in really comfortable beds. The staff on board were really friendly and helpful, and the ship was kept spotlessly clean. The food was delicious, with plenty of choice. We ate in the Kensington restaurant every evening, and got on very well with the others at our table; their company added to our enjoyment of our holiday. My husband is a vegetarian and was impressed with the range of food he was offered, and I was relieved that the portion sizes weren't too big, which was helpful when there are five courses to get through! I loved the ship itself, not being a fan of huge modern cruise ships with thousands of passengers; this was much more friendly. And you could always find space to sit, either on deck, or inside in a lounge or bar. The entertainment was good, apart from the comedian, and that is my only complaint. I was surprised at CMV employing this person, as I found him offensive, his material was racist and sexist. But all the other entertainers worked really hard and were very talented. The Norwegian Fjords were absolutely beautiful, and the weather was perfect, so we saw them at their best. We called at Eidfjord, Olden & Bergen, and did not book any tours through the cruise line, preferring to explore the ports independently. This worked very well, and it was possible to get a bus to the glacier from Olden, which was well worth doing, as there is not a lot to see in the village itself. I would recommend CMV to anyone, and can't wait to sail on the Magellan again.

Brilliant Anniversary cruise

Magellan Cruise Review by AVC

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe

I would recommend CMV to anyone, and can't wait to sail on the Magellan again.
AVC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Plenty of room & storage space. Kept spotlessly clean. Conveniently located, & no engine noise. Beds very comfortable.