3. Sapphire Princess
We are a family of three, I am a PhD student and my parents are of retirement age. This was our first cruise with Princess in 6 years and so we expected there to be big changes from what we remember. Previously we have sailed with Princess around the Med and Norway and one cruise with P and O which we found exceptionally disappointing. This two week Mediterranean Cruise on the Sapphire Princess, however, exceeded our expectations. We shared a mini-suite with a balcony and had an absolutely fantastic time spending many blissful mornining and afternoons in the sun. The ship was in good condition and our steward was always friendly and efficient. In general the staff were always enthusiastic and helpful, particularly the dining and bar staff. There were some cut backs from what we remember- one less port of call, starters and soups part of the same course in the formal dining room, more restricted opening hours for the Horizon buffet which now closes at 11pm and less variety of evenining entertainment. These small changes however, did not affect the enjoyment of our cruise. One of the few disappointments was the exorbitant price of the shuttle at Marseille ($16 per person) which is essential as the town centre is too far to walk. Another slight disappointment was the intrusive and persistent advertising of the onboard EFFY jewellery shop. On one of the first sea days I attended one of their events and felt very lucky to win what they described as a 'surprisingly special gift' this turned out to be a mini-pen and $200 off when you spend over $600 in their store before the next day. The food in both Horizon court and the formal dining room was excellent quality, although we always ordered extra veg in the dining room to compensate for a lack of accompanying greens with main meals. We were lucky enough to watch many of the high quality onboard performances, a personal highlight for me was a performance from Gareth Gates, a film showing of the Dali-Disney collaboration 'Destino' (which Park West galleries has exclusive rights to) and the very informative art lectures. The only act I did not enjoy as much was the Magic-Escapology duo 'Amethyst' which I found outdated, rather simplistic and mildly misogynistic. The Cruise Director Duke was always the affable host with a dazzling pair of shoes and funny story every night. One of the main disappointments for us were the supposedly 'expert' destination talks from Narella. These consisted of such helpful advice including "in Italy they speak Italian" and "when they speak English they have an Italian accent'. Often we were shown photographs of outdated timetables, told an inaccurate price for a single trip (I'm sure most passengers are hoping to return to the ship) and often told to check details at the port's tourist information. She was particularly disparaging about the port of Livorno which ended up being one of our cruise highlights. The diversity of film choice in the stateroom is much improved and we took full advantage of this. Unfortunately the wifi was too slow to use but the new mobile-based system for checking stateroom accounts and daily onboard activities that doesn't require paid wifi is fantastic and very helpful. Also one of my highlights was the outside pizzeria which makes very tasty pizzas! Overall we had a very enjoyable experience and would highly recommend this cruise!

Excellent quality of service, food and entertainment

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by FMcD

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

FMcD’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D731
Excellent and spacious with a nice shower-bath.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins