3. Vision of the Seas
As an experienced cruiser (this was my eighth cruise with my family), I know what I like and what I don't like. And what I thought I didn't like was Royal Caribbean, with its enormous ships and ridiculous and (in my opinion) useless features like rock walls. When my mother told me she'd found a five-day cruise to the Norwegian fjords that exactly followed our annual family vacation to Sweden on the Vision of the Seas, however, I was prepared to overlook it. I'd never been to Norway, but I found the idea of seeing the fjords from a boat intriguing. After driving to Copenhagen from southern Sweden across the Oresund bridge, we returned our rental car and spent the night in the Hilton Airport Hotel. We have stayed there on several occasions and highly recommend it. Our main reason for choosing it is its convenience to the airport--you can literally walk from Terminal 3 to the lobby via a covered walkway, and access trains, the Metro station, and a parking garage through the same walkway. We also got a good deal that included breakfast in the hotel's buffet, which has pretty good food, much of it Scandinavian. Our room was nice and very comfortable, with modern furniture and design, but we didn't have much of a view (except for the train tracks and the Copenhagen suburbs). We like the Hilton, but it is impersonal compared to smaller, locally owned hotels. After breakfast, we took a taxi to the pier. There was no permanent terminal, just a very large tent set up next to the ship. However, embarkation was very smooth. Security was no problem, and the wait was very short. We had booked an inside stateroom, which we are used to. Even inside staterooms, however, vary greatly in the size, layout and decor. Our cabin onboard the Vision of the Seas was by far the smallest and ugliest we have ever stayed in. The decor was almost completely off-white and an ugly shade of green. It was very small (though the photograph on Royal Caribbean's website makes it look bigger). The bathroom was also very small and plain. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the rest of the ship. The decor is very nice. There are a lot of windows, which was perfect for this highly scenic itinerary. Much of the decor had a Mexican theme (I think the ship did Mexican itineraries before coming to Norway), which was a bit of a contrast to the world outside, but not in an unpleasant or confusing way. The ship was quite pretty. The top deck of the ship had the rock wall, and the Viking Crown Lounge. The rock wall has several paths up at different skill levels but even the easiest is very challenging; don't try it unless you're quite athletic. The Viking Crown Lounge is an observation lounge; almost every ship I've been on has something similar. However, unlike, say, the Crow's Nest Lounge on Holland America ships, the Viking Crown is located not at the front of the ship but in the middle, towards the aft. This means that the views are no better than from other parts of the ship, except for being higher. The lounge itself was nicely decorated but there were so many other areas that we didn't spend much time there. Deck 10, the next deck, had the Adventure Ocean youth program, including an excellent teen club with a dance floor, soda bar, and television with video games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Dance Dance Revolution. The ping pong tables were next to Adventure Ocean indoors, rather than out in the cold, which was nice. The middle part of the deck had a jogging track with views of the pool below. This deck often got cold and windy, and was closed off at night and sometimes during the day. This is a good safety measure; however, the crew does not check to see if anyone is already out there before they do this, and on the first night, I was stranded! I had to take the stairs down to the pool and step over the rope. The fitness center is also on this deck, with the usual equipment. It is a good-sized gym but nothing special. Deck 9 has the Windjammer Cafe (the buffet), the main "family" pool, the Solarium, and the spa. The Solarium is one of the nicest areas on the ship and was always very nice and peaceful. There was a 24-hour grill serving food like burgers and pizza. The spa was also nice, but not particularly better than the spa on any other ships. I won a free massage in the raffle on the first day, and it was very nice and relaxing. Deck 8 was all cabins, except for the repeat passengers lounge and the future cruise consultant office. Deck 7 was also an accommodation deck, except for the card room and the library, which was nice, with lots of seating, but small compared to those on other ships. Deck 6 was one of the main entertainment decks on the ship. It has the shops, the upper level of the theater, and three lounges: the Some Enchanted Evening Lounge, the Showboat Lounge, and the Schooner Bar. The latter was our favorite area on the ship. It is creatively decorated with features like masts that look like they belong on a sailboat. The Some Enchanted Evening Lounge was where the captain's party was held; it is sort of a small show lounge. The Showboat, contrary to the name, is not a venue for shows. In the evening, they have activities like trivia. Deck 5 has the lower level of the Masquerade Theater, the casino, and the Aquarius dining room. The lower decks are all cabins. As there were many European and Scandinavian passengers onboard, signs and announcements were in several languages. Dining was a big disappointment. The food was poor quality and there was very little selection, either in the dining room or the Windjammer Cafe. I don't believe there was an alternative restaurant, and if there was, we didn't eat there. Some of the activities we participated in included juggling lessons from a pro juggler who performed on the ship. Entertainment was nothing to write home about. One night they switched the planned performance with the show planned for the next night without notice, which disappointed some who missed that show. In Geiranger, we took a shore excursion: a guided hike up a fjord, with the opportunity to go behind a waterfall. It was very good. Food (waffles) was included at a small farm. Altogether, we were pleasantly surprised by our experience on the Vision of the Seas. I would recommend our cruise to anyone.

Seeing the Fjords from the Vision of the Seas