3. Carnival Valor
My daughter's chose this cruise and it was all of our's first time. I live in Galveston, so it was very easy for me to get to the ship. We were a bit confused by the Sign & Sail set up before the cruise - what this means is when you get on board all passengers are given a card to use to purchase drinks at the bar, to get off / on the ship when at your destination etc. The card has a credit card tied to your account. You can use one card for everyone in your cabin or you can set up a credit card for yourself at one of the many kiosks on the ship. I feel this is not adequately explained on the Carnival website. As to the ship itself, our balcony suite accommodated myself and my 3 adult daughters very well. There were 2 twin beds, the couch turned into a comfy bed and another bed pulled down with a ladder from above the couch. The amount of drawers and closet space was perfect for us. The bathroom had a shower / toilet and a bit of counter space by the sink it was a tight fit - expected considering we were on a ship! We went to the Steakhouse that first evening - so delicious - strongly recommend the extra Steakhouse package. I tried the Serentiy whirlpool later that evening alone - big mistake. For some reason that night ...and just that night (I tried it later in the trip) the whole group in the whirlpool was trying to "hook up" trading room numbers and such. No my scene. But many others seemed to enjoy it. We were on the Lido deck - close to the dining halls and right by the elevators. The food in the cafeteria style dining halls was fantastic - no complaints. The lines while long moved quickly. The food was fresh, plentiful and delicious. Only downside - we had the Bubble package - to get a soda you had to go to the bar. I asked the bartenderess for a Coca Cola and she tended 4 other people who came AFTER me before she got my soda.I only got my soda after I started complaining loudly to her. She put her hand in my face (!!) then got my soda. That really was the only bad thing that happened - more annoying than bad. Our room steward was very nice. When housekeeping took the extra blankets 2 of my daughters had, he quickly replaced them. The musical we saw - a 70s disco style extravaganza - was hysterical. I normally do not go in for these types of things - but it was a great way to spend an evening. Cozumel - well I knew to expect a tourist town since I come from a tourist town myself. The vendors at the shops were helpful, the prices were in-line for what i thought they would be - not much different from where I live actually but that is okay. We went to the Spa one day - one of my daughter's purchased that extra for me. The young woman who did my nails was wonderful. She kept a nice conversation and did a nice job on my short nails. As a bonus she gave me a massage on my back and neck. Very nice indeed. One of my daughters bought the Carnival Excursion Snorkeling, Fajita Lunch and Tequila tasting package. We had a wonderful time. Jesus and Flora were fantastic. I have a bad foot - and decided to stay back with one my daughters closer to the shore to snorkel. We were not disappointed - so many brightly colored fish! My leg cramped up and out of nowhere Jesus was right there carrying me up to the dock! He did not make a fuss (I asked him not to) but helped me get my fins off and allowed me to get myself to a chair. I really like how much he respected my issue and did NOT make me feel embarrassed - thank you to both Jesus and Flora for that. As to the food, I have read many complaints on here about it - yes it is a very simple chicken, onion fajita on corn/flour tortillas. On the side was home-made guacamole that Flora made herself in front of everyone. None of it was spicy. There was not the cheese and sour cream we Americans expect but I loved it - it was perfect simple lunch. I did not do the tequila tasting but one of my daughter's said it was great. Getting to and from the excursion was not a problem - the bus taxi while packed was nice and roomy compared to other buses I have ridden on. I was worried when I got on board that we would be herded from one activity to the next. That did not happen. You were given autonomy to choose you wanted to do. You could stay in the cabin and nap, lounge by pool or watch the watch, go to shows, go the casino, go shopping whatever you wanted to do. It is not as noisy and crowded as I thought it would be. Oh to those who want to drink in a nice quiet bar with few to no crowds try the Winston. The four of us would go there to play spades and have drinks later in the evening. Very nice. .We did not go with children but the Serenity deck allowed you to be away from all the noise and hubbub of children playing if that is what you want. I did have a nice conversation with a young man (8 years old) at the whirlpool on the Lido deck. It was empty so I got in the whirlpool - this after we got back from the excursion and my leg was still sore. He asked if he could join me - I said of course. I recognized him from the excursion - he was very polite and asked if I was okay - he noticed while snorkeling that I was in pain. His parents should be proud of him. He said I reminded of him of his Grandmother. I told him he reminded me of my grandson who is about his age. We got along great! I strongly recommend this as a nice affordable vacation and the snorkeling package - hope you get Jesus and Flora!

Great way to spend Mother's Day!

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by dcalaway