3. Zuiderdam
I chose this cruise to reconnect with one of the world's major sights and to see the new locks which were not there in 2004 when I last visited. I also have never been to Cartagena, Colombia and heard nice things about Old Town which was a wonderful experience. In addition Curacao was a great place to visit. I could skip Colon, Panama and the town of Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. The ship itself is showing its age, but overall it was pleasant. There were five sea days, but there was not enough on board activity to keep me occupied. The staff were so polite and friendly. Now that I am a widower and travel alone I look forward to socializing with others, but I did not find much in the way of solo get togethers. Two bars, however, had a special each afternoon where your second drink was only two dollars and this allowed for social contact. I had an inside cabin which was plenty big for me as a single traveler. It was comfortable and was kept very clean by my attendant. I mentioned to my table mates one night that my birthday was the next and they informed the waiters which got me a sing along and a lovely cake the next night. Comedians on other ships that I have been on described the average age of Holland America passengers as in the early one hundreds, but I found a good age mix among the passengers.

My last visit to the Panama Canal was 2004.

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by proffurey