3. Norwegian Pearl
We started planning this trip over a year ago, and decided to stick with Norwegian for our trip to Alaska on the Pearl. I have read on several occasions that the Pearl was old, dated and needed an upgrade. I thought it was marvelous. simply amazing ! We flew into Seattle on the Friday, two days before we sailed out. For the next 2 days we hit Pike Place, the Seattle Wheel, and had some magnificent seafood. We both really liked Seattle, and being from the east coast it was more special for us to go somewhere new. The morning of embarkation, we went with an open mind, after being on 4 cruises before and all of them from Manhattan, we based our experience on those past trips. Needless to say New York needs to take some lessons from Seattle on how to talk to people and how to treat people. Don't get me wrong I love New York, I like less than 2 hours from Manhattan, but the cruise terminal needs to learn how to speak to people. I found the workers in the Seattle terminal, nice to talk to, polite, friendly and offering us water just in case we had a long wait. We were given a 10:00 - 10:30 time to arrive, as we did. We breezed through the terminal, and by 11:00 am were on the ship at the buffet, which was splendid. Our cabin was better then imagined, we had cabin 10168 mini suite aft balcony. It had a lounge chair and 2 regular chairs. The balcony is much bigger then the Breakaway. We spent a lot of time out there admiring the scenery from Seattle to Alaska, then to Victoria. Pictures don't do the scenrey in Alaska enough justice. absolutley stunning. Our cabin was clean, spotless. We seldom saw our steward, which was fine but he kept our cabin, clean, delivered us clean towels, made towel animals. No complaints there. We never had to go look for him for anything. We had the Dining package and the beverage package. We ate Cagney's 2 nights and Moderno's 2 nights, then did the buffet another night. We had lunch in Indigo, one of the main dining rooms on the Pearl, which was very good. I had country chicken, and my wife had poached Salmon, both meals were delicious. In Cagney's I had Filet Mignon both night and my wife had a Filet one night and Ribeye the next night there. Cagney's is old reliable for us, never had a bad meal there. After dinner one night we went to the legends show, which was very good, not too long, not too short. I think each entertainer did close to 25 minutes each, which consisted of Elton, Madonna, and Michael Jackson. The first port we arrived is was Juneau, the ship docked at the furthest point fron the center of town, my only complaint. We had to get on shuttle buses to get to the middle of town. We picked to do a whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier on our own. We booked them though Juneau Tours and Whale Watch. We were gone most of the time we were allowed in Juneau, there really wasn't much more time. We didn't get a chance to do the Mount Roberts Tram, after we got back from from our Whale watch, we stopped in Tracey's Crab Shack. The Alaskan King Crab Legs are out of this world ! we finished that and poked around some of the shops before taking the shuttle back to the ship. Next stop was Skagway, we booked the White Pass Railroad Train through NCL. It was amazing, the scenery is so breathtaking. There was still snow up on top and a lot of it too. The morning temps were cool, but by the end of the train ride temps were in the low 60's. They said to bundle up and dress in layers, I worse shorts every day in Alaska. We got off the train and had lunch in the Red Dog Saloon, which is a haunted brothel with great food. Our next port was Ketchikan, it was another cool morning mistly light rain in the morning. We poked around some shops, then made it to Creek Street, to visit more shops. We only had a few hours in Ketchikan, which was fine. We left at 1:30 and had to get back on the ship by 1:00. Our last port was Victoria, British Columbia which was beautiful. We pulled in at 6:00 pm, and were off by 6:30. We jumped in a cab and I wanted to go for a drink to a place called The Bard and Banker. a really great bar in Victoria, we had a few drinks, walked around town and did some shopping before heading back to the ship in another taxi. Everybody says there isn't enough time in that port, I tend to agree with them, I would have loved a whole day in Victoria. Let me just say Glacier Bay is absolutley beautiful ! Go see it before it is totaly gone. We saw whales, seals, big chunks of ice floating in the water. All in all it was a brilliant trip aboard the Norwegian Pearl, after eading about how it was run down and needs spruced up, food was awfull,, it's all wrong ! DON'T JUDGE BY SOMEONE ELSES COMPLAINTS. You can't please everybody and and some people you can never please. I've been on the Gem, and the Breakaway. The Pearl is a smalled ship that the Breakaway which I like better now, the newer larger ships have more people, and takes forever to get a drink, longer lines to get off or on the ship. To me smaller ships are the way to go. I know the Norwegian Bliss is going to be going to Alaska, I wouldn't do it, because 1, it's too big, 2 more people, 3 I don't think it will be able to get as close to the Glaciers as a smalled ship will, but this is how cruise people make their money. Bigger is not always better.

Amazing Alaskan Adventure

Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Aft-Facing Balcony
Cabin B1 10168
The cabin was perfect, absolutley loved that larger balcony. It had a lounge chairs as well as 2 deck chairs and a table. We spent so much time in the balcony, I managed to take well over 1000 pictures. This is a perfect balcony for Alaska, the scenery is constanlty changing. You only have 2 floors to The Great Outdoors, which was very convenient. I loved getting up in the morning and taking a cup of coffee out on the balcony, it was so peacefull.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins