3. Columbus
I can't believe the moaning about this cruise by earlier contributors. What were they expecting? 5* service and amenities at 3* prices? Get a life! I have to say that almost everyone I met on board - and I met a great number over 4 months - all agreed how wonderful the cruise had been and, from some, that they were already looking forward to their next one with CMV. The cabin (I had a solo on Deck 10) was more than adequate with 2 single beds, two chairs (one a comfy armchair, the other a desk type), a long desk, plentiful drawers, hanging space, a fridge, a safe and a small, but perfectly good, bathroom with shower. The cabin steward was polite and helpful at all times. I ate in both the restaurant and the buffet. There was always at least 7 dishes on offer for both lunch and dinner as well as cold food. They catered for vegetarians and vegans too. OK, the puddings could have been a bit more imaginative but the staff in both places could not be faulted. It is totally unreasonable to bring up their wages as one other reviewer did. Those I spoke to were very happy with their wage level, given that it was almost 3 times what they would earn in similar positions in their own countries. They couldn't have been more welcoming and attentive if they had earned 10 times as much. Nobody forces you to go on the ship's shore excursions and you know the prices in advance of the cruise. If you think they are too expensive then don't go but book your own privately. I went on 20 of Columbus's trips and enjoyed them all. The entertainment was,admittedly, variable in quality; the permanent ship's singers and dancers were excellent; the visiting artistes less so. The 45 minute lectures which took place during sea days were invariably interesting and the speakers well received. I paid £39 for 1 GB of internet and I never understood how people had difficulty with it; my android phone picked it up without too much difficulty 99% of the time. All in all I was more than happy with my experience and would certainly repeat the exercise providing the prices stayed at a reasonable level. Some contributors seem ready to complain about any little thing. Did they bring these "complaints" to ship;s staff at the time? As for cleanliness throughout? I found it spotless!

Wonderful Cruise