• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Viking Tor Review

Editor Rating

Viking River Cruise - Service on Par with Disney!

Review for Viking Tor to Europe River
lhshore
6-10 Cruises • Age 30s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2017
Cabin: French Balcony
French Balcony D

My husband and I went on Viking River Cruise’s “Christmas in Germany” cruise this past December. This was my first river cruise, but I have been on many ocean cruises and traveled throughout Europe.

We are in our early thirties, so I was anxious about going on this cruise as I know that the passengers on these journeys are usually older, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a younger bunch on this ship, perhaps because of the holidays. There were plenty of retirees, but also couples in their thirties, forties, and fifties, some with adolescent children. We never felt uncomfortable, and since we are not big “party animals” we thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment (local musicians and craftsmen) and port talks. Our cruise director Sam was wonderful and one of the best I have ever met! I expect him to join the ranks for Carnival’s famed director John Heald.

We booked our air travel through Viking Air and flew Lufthansa from Atlanta to Frankfurt and United from Cologne to Munich, Munich to D.C., and D.C. to Atlanta. I was displeased at the number of stops on our return trip, but the times were acceptable as we did not have to leave the ship until 6:30 AM the morning of our departure and since we received our tickets in October (three months before departure), I was able to secure good seat assignments.

French Balcony

Cabin D

Our French Balcony cabin on Deck 2 was wonderful! There is plenty of room for two people, the floor to ceiling windows (with a door that slides open – there is a rail to prevent falls since there is not a balcony) make the room feel even larger. The bathroom is completely tiled and the heated floors felt so good after a cold day. Bottled water is replaced daily, there is a self-service machine on each deck (which I prefer as opposed to having to track down a cabin steward like on ocean cruise ships), and the mini fridge is surprisingly cold. The beds are comfortable, topped with soft white duvets and plenty of pillows.

previous reviewnext review