3. Pride of America
We have always wanted to see Hawaii and Pride of America was a great way to travel to the 4 main islands without having to pack up and fly to the next island. We booked a package with ICruise and it included 2 night stay at Waikiki Resort Hotel as well as a Pearl Harbor tour and transfers to the ship. Price was excellent, much cheaper then booking directly. we had no issues at all with this package. (One thing to remember is that you cannot so the bidding cabin upgrade.) We had 2 excellent nights in Waikiki before the cruise. I left a detailed trip review over on the message boards so this review will be more about the cruise itself. We arrived at the port around 12:30. It was pretty busy but not overwhelming. We were in line for about 20 minutes. We were greeted with leis which was a nice touch. Once we were checked in we had our photo done with 2 Hawaiian ambassadors and off to the ship we went. I heard a lot of mixed reviews of this ship but quite honestly I found it to be pretty nice. There was a lot of places to hang out, the bars were all nicely done and everything was clean and well appointed. I thought the themes in each bar or lounge or restaurant was well done also. We went up to the Key West Bar and Grill to get some lunch and they had a nice spread put out. It was a bit congested but we found seats, After lunch we went to the lido deck to relax and wait for our room to be ready. My husband went to the bar for drinks. Don't get a Pina Colada! It was the worse drink I ever had. It came out of a machine and was nothing like a Pina Colada. It was so thick you couldn't even drink it. Drinks are so expensive on the ship also. I ended up sticking with the drink of the day and only getting one or two a day. Our room was ready by 4pm. we booked an oceanview room on deck 4. (Room 4092) I was very worried as I love a balcony and I usually book on the higher decks. This cruise was not cheap and being we would be busy every day we decided not to spend the extra money. I was pleasantly surprised with this room. We were close to the stairs leading to the gangway and also one flight up was the main floor. It was a perfect location. Instead of having to wait for an elevator when you are coming back from a long day we walked in and up the stairs to our room. The room was actually bigger then I thought. Plenty of closet space, there were shelves in the closet as well. Another plus was that we each had drawers on either side of the room and counter space. Suitcases fit under the bed as well. Suitcases arrived soon after we had gotten into our room so that was nice. Our steward was Yolanda and she was great. I asked for ice the first evening and every day we had fresh ice in the afternoon and at turn down. Things were always neat and clean. The Ship - I found the ship to be pretty without being over the top. It never seemed crowded anywhere we went except the buffet in the mornings. We always found places to sit and relax. Hot tubs were never crowded either. It was also super easy to get a drink at the bars. The areas on the ship were very nice like the Key West Bar and Grill and the higher decks had a lot of seating and was quiet. Dining - Our first night was at the Liberty Restaurant and we saw that it was more formal so we dressed for the evening. Well...we didn't know we didn't have to so we were pretty over dressed! I wish we were informed of that beforehand. Food the first night was a miss for me. I had the french onion soup and it was terrible! No onions and the broth was bland. I also had the crab cakes and they were only okay. My husband had a salad and it was mostly greens. He did say his steak was good. We purchased a bottle of wine as it was cheaper. Rest of dining experiences were good though. We ate at the Skyline and Cagney's as well as Liberty again and found the food to be decent. Nothing overly special except the steak at Cagney's It was delicious! We did eat a few breakfasts at Cadillac Diner. The breakfast was good but service was spotty. We tried it once for a late lunch and food was so greasy! The buffet area was always busy but we found the food to be good. We did a lot of breakfasts there as well as 2 dinners. Seating in the morning could be a problem as everyone is trying to get out for the day. There is overflow seating at the Gold Rush Saloon. One tip - If you like soda but didn't want to purchase the soda package get cans from the store on the ship. It is much cheaper then getting it at the bar. Entertainment - we didn't see a lot of shows. We did the welcome show and everyone was decent. The comedian was hilarious! We saw one magic show and it was kind of cheesy. We also saw one show based on movie musicals and it was your typical cruise entertainment. We went to the art show on the last day of our cruise. Ports of call were wonderful. Weather was not our friend and we had mixed weather over the course of the week but we still enjoyed every day - rain or shine. Hawaii is so beautiful. We only did one excursion through NCL and that was the Movie Tour in Kauai. It was a fun tour with lots of stops and lunch was included. I was glad we took this tour as we were very late getting back due to traffic. We were the last ones to board before the ship left. We did sail sail by the Napoli Coast and it was narrated by the captain. Be sire to be out on deck as it is a breath-taking sight. Crew - Everyone we met with one exception was nice and helpful. A big shout out to April at the John Adams Bar. We stopped one morning for a Bloody Mary and she let us know that they as well as Mimosa's are half price in the morning! She was a lot of fun to talk to and so personable. We met a lot of great crew members over the week. Embarkation - We chose to stay on the ship as long as we could as our flight didn't leave till 1pm. We grabbed breakfast at the Skyline at 8am and grabbed our belongings around 845 and was off the ship soon after. We chose to take our own luggage off the ship. I find it much easier. We had a transfer through Robert's Hawaii and had no issues. The trip was wonderful and we were very happy to be able to see Hawaii.

Great way to see the Islands

Pride of America Cruise Review by Salem615

• Sail Date: April 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Suitcases arrived soon after we had gotten into our room so that was nice.

The trip was wonderful and we were very happy to be able to see Hawaii.
Salem615’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OA 4092
We loved the cabin. We are usally balcony people and like the higher floors but we were very happy with this cabin.
We were a few feet from the stairs leading to the gang way and one flight up to the main area. It was great to be able to come in after a long day and go up one flight of steps to our room instead of waiting for an elevator.
We had the window for natural light and we could watch the people getting on and off the ship as we were very close to the gangway!
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour
    We booked our day in Hilo with Ricky's Tours. He is an excellent tour guide. He took us along Banyon Drive, made a stop at a very pretty park, took us to Volcano National Park, lava tubes, steam vents, lava fields, Jagger Museum and the visitors center. We laso went to an orchid farm (could have skipped this) the nut factory and a black sand beach. He narrated along the drive and also provided chips and water. Great tour!
    View All 112 Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour Reviews
  • Hollywood - Hawaii
    Fun tour. Got to see a lot of Kauai. We watched clips of movies and then were taken to posts where they actually filmed the scene,
    We had a nice stop in Hanalei for lunch and a little shopping.
    View All 23 Hollywood - Hawaii Reviews
  • Luau
    This was our favorite Hawaii experience. We took a boat tour of the river and then landed at the grotto. It was simply beautiful. Sadly it was a rainy day so they performed the Hawaiian wedding song on the boat. The singers were fun and kept us entertained.
    The Smith Family Luau was excellent. The grounds were beautiful and everything was well run. From the drinks, to the food to the actual show it was perfect!
  • Wailua River
    We booked this along with the luau as a combo tour.
    So much fun. The river ride was beautiful and the the grotto was lovely. The performers on the boat were fun and kept us all engaged!
    View All 73 Wailua River Reviews
  • Kona
    We tendered in and just enjoyed the area. Pretty port with lots to see and do.
    View All 372 Kona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kona Cruise Port Review
  • Maui
    Maui was beautiful. We rented a car and drove ourselves to the Plantation and Iao Valley as well as Paia and did part of the road to Hana. We loved the Iao Valley park. Easy stop and didn't take very long to visit. Parking can be an issue though.
    The Tropical Plantation was very nice but I thought the tram ride was expensive for how short it was . $20 per person for a 30 minute tour was a bit much. You can walk part of the grounds yourself if you don't want to do the tour. Very picturesque.
    Paia was a great stop - Cute town and we had a nice lunch at Charley's.
    we did part of the road to Hana. The drive was not bad at all. We didn't find anything overly special. We did make a stop and got some yummy banana bread. Twin falls was nothing really special .
    We did go to Lahaina the next day and we really had the best time. The Banyan tree was amazing and the town was great to walk around in.
    View All 587 Maui Cruise Port Reviews