3. Pride of America
Wanted to post this on NCL review, but their website glitches on the page with comments. I've traveled on ships like the Queen Mary (Cunard Line) - and NLC was comparable. 99% of the staff was well trained, well-mannered and things went very smooth. Loved feeling pampered as a Priority traveler. Our stateroom was amazing, well-appointed and Larry, the Steward was incredible. (Would have been nice to have a clothesline in the bathroom for wet bathing suits.) Daniel ran Cagney's like a fine dining restaurant. Jeffrey the butler did a few special things for us, bringing us extra water and a couple gluten free cookies ... and he took our wine up to dinner a couple nights. Some of the entertainment was good and some was so so. I didn't see the need for an adult only comedy show. This precluded us attending as we have a 17 year old. Why do comics feel they need to swear and have a potty mouth. If you speak well, you can entertain everyone. And the weird thing is that the comedian Fred, said his hero was Red Skeleton, who certified comics to do gigs and Red made sure all comedy was clean. Minor mishaps: A first time NCL cruiser I was gifted with a free massage at the Spa but when I tried to use it, they were very rude and told me the gift had expired (before the cruise ended). I had planned to pay for three guests too, but when they were so rude, I didn’t want to plan a soothing massage in a hostel environment. I wouldn't expect a welcome to NCL gift to expire before my cruise ended. It was the only day we stayed on the ship while in port, and they refused to honor the NCL gift. But the worst part was their surly attitude. Bad marketing given that it was around the time NCL would ask me to sign up for another cruise. The SPA staff doesn't seem to fit the NCL brand. Speaking to them was like talking to a US postal worker (a brand that doesn't care about customers either.) I felt exactly the opposite with all the other NCL staff. They were amazing and so helpful. I suggest NCL either hire their own SPA staff or get another contractor that matches their courteous and well-mannered brand. Another thing; our butler kindly arranged for a rental car but told us it would pick us up at the port. We waited for over an hour till the others around us who were also waiting, called Budget and found that Budget never picks up at the cruise terminal. The cruise staff should know that Dollar, Hertz & Thrifty do in fact pick up from the dock but Budget doesn't. Many of us were stranded and wasted a lot of time on a day in port because of this error. NCL is amaaaaaaazing and I would recommend them to a friend. We created an epic memory with our family and were treated SO well. They understand manners and that's rare these days. FYI, Coincidentally I broadcast about my travels on social media to 49 countries and 5 continents and my viewers are always asking me what to do and where to go. So what would I do differently? I wish I had booked through NCL, not Cruises Only. CO was very helpful the day they took my money but after that, I couldn't get help at all. None of my pre cruise calls or emails were returned so I came on board literally not knowing what to expect. I needed help finding rooms in Oahu and ground transportation and further info re how to cruise with NCL. I did read all the info on NCL but needed to ask questions to a human. Finally on board, I asked Jeffrey the Butler about my credits and he gave me a paper saying I had $800 in credit but it turns out he was wrong; I had about $1,300. I had wanted to book the Luau but by the time I found out about the credit, the Luau was sold out. It wasn't till the last day that I found 3 gift cards buried on the desk that told of my ACTUAL on board credit instead of the amount Jeffrey the butler quoted. I would have taken a lot more excursions, tipped more and bought more had I been told I had that much credit. Had I had a good travel agent or someone on board to help with that, it would have been a better cruise. I'm still very impressed with NCL, but I run a company, so I know they want feedback to tighten up any loose ends so their brand is consistent across the board. I hope these suggestions are helpful. Still an NCL fan but too seasick to take another ocean cruise on such a wobbly ship. Even in pretty calm waters, their ship shakes like crazy. Thanks for a fun cruise though; it was my family’s first trip to Hawaii and we enjoyed it.

Mixed experience...Loved NCL brand - couple glitches that need improvement

Pride of America Cruise Review by sangelo

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite with Large Balcony

Some of the entertainment was good and some was so so.

Minor mishaps:

I did read all the info on NCL but needed to ask questions to a human.

sangelo’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Owner's Suite with Large Balcony
Cabin SC 11000
Larry our steward was AMAZING... cabin was opulent, comfortable and roomy. (Could have used a clothes line in the bathroom for swim suits.) Loved the Jacuzzi on our balcony. Looooooooved our stateroom and our steward's great service.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins