3. Anthem of the Seas
first time cruising from Bayonne, so everything was a little new for us. arrived the afternoon before the cruise and stayed at the Best Western Plus by Newark airport, who provided parking and shuttle service included in the room, so that was a bonus. embarkation went very smoothly, disembarkation was somewhat delayed, but was as expected for a ship with this capacity. the cabin (see below). the main dining room ... was a hit and miss. the food was good, but we had a couple of uninspired evenings in the beginning. we then found a great pair (Earnesto and I Gusti), and tried to get the head watier (Lakinder) to seat us with them as much as possible. specialty dining ... we only tried three: Wonderland is a must try. Jamie Oliver's is delicious. Izumi's has a good selection of delicous Japanese cuisine. all of them provided really good service. the shows: "We Will Rock You" is great! "Spectrum" was a seen-it-done-that. "the Gift" was hard to understand for some, but the performance was good. the various other nightly entertainers are not too bad, except Matt Yee now, Matt Yee, he was FUNNY!! very politically incorrect and totally lacking any kind of filter. if you get offended with any kind of inuendos, this is not the show for you. Matt even says this himself throughout the show, whenever he sees "fresh meat" stroll by the Schooner's bar. go eary, get a seat, have a few drinks, then enjoy the show!! if you want wine, go see Rodel or Alan in Vintages. they are very helpful, and will help you find the perfect wine. Toni & Alvin in Bolero's are fantastic, and the guys in Schooners are hilarious. other on-board activities ... bumper cars - fun!! roller skating - they limit the number of skaters so it's safe for everyone (not like ice skating on the Allure or Navigator where it's a gong show). you can bring your own roller skates or roller blades, but you must wear a helmet and wrist guards. northstar - cool views!! iFly - cool experience, but they have weight restrictions for this, and bring running shoes!! for ports ... Bermuda is a nice place to visit. we toured the King's Warf area on our own, visited the fort, had lunch at the Frog and Onion, sampled the local beers. going into town is a drive, so be careful if you do go. we had a very late arriving passengers in a taxi, probably got stuck in traffic. having been to St Maarten many times in the past, we rented a car from Rodael Car Rental. they pick you up at the pier, and will drive you back to the pier after drop off. very nice people. we then drove around to visit our usual hang-outs, and saw the devestation from the hurricanes in 2017. you won't see much of this in Phillipsburg, but if you drive out, you will definitely see the carnage. many of our favourite restaurants are no longer there. San Juan, we did the "Old and New" city tour. gave us a good exposure of the town. and just like Phillipsburg, you probably won't see the hurricane damage until you get out of town, so we couldn't tell. but we did purposely overpay on our suveniers, and their gratitude makes it well worth the extra money. Labidee ... unless you have kids and really want a beach day, or want to do that zip-line, stay on the ship. most activities are way overpriced and not worth the hassle. we booked the "beach lounger for two", an affordable option, yet I spent the entire time reading on the deck chair, and could have done that on the ship and be way more comfortable. the bars, they have no refridgeration, so it's all coolers and ice buckets. no juice, warm pop, I recommend sticking with beers. the food line, long and annoying. a gentleman keeps pushing me and finally bumped me out of the way, and I just looked at him and asked him where exactly did he want me to go, as I'm in line the same as everyone else. as for the food, the food in the Windjammer is much better (and that's saying a lot). I couldn't wait to get back on-board so I can go hide in the thermal suite before my massage!! and on the last day, at sea, I spent the bulk of the day in the yurt in the 270 lounge reading my book. very relaxing!! apologies for hoging it all day!! :-)

Relaxing

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by As-She-Wish

the cabin (see below).

other on-board activities ...

bumper cars - fun!!

northstar - cool views!!

for ports ...

As-She-Wish’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 7D 7684
the cabin was nice, and feels bigger than the other ships (probably because the balcony was smaller). most closet space of all the ships we've been on. the Radiance class ships are pretty good, but the Allure was a little tight for storage.

love having a full sofa where we can both sit, and a nice big TV!!

the door and the walls were magnetic, so the magnets we brought were useful in keeping our cruise calendar and various pieces of paper on the wall and door.

but not a big fan on having the balcony recessed from the ship. this ship kind of goes wider at the elevators, and narrow in between. we were just aft of the aft elevators, so in the narrow part, and our balcony railing is not at the outer edge of the ship, so we got to see more of the ship out of our balcony than we cared to see.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins