3. Golden Princess
I overheard a ship officer explaining to a passenger "... it doesn't matter if all 2,600 passengers onboard complain to Princess. Another 2,600 passengers will still book afterwards." ---- I will not be one of those 2,600. I was aware of the ship's age going into this sailing but still booked it, mainly due to my desire to see Japan. My last cruise with Princess was roughly 33 years ago on an Alaskan voyage. Since then, I have sailed approximately 18 times, primarily in the Caribbean on various carriers, and am 41 years of age. (I mention this as a basis for my review.) The ship... At every turn, the ship was showing it's age and signs of neglect. The exterior decks were rusty, the handrails had lost their varnish, the spas weren't working, several elevators were out of service throughout the trip, there were marks on the ceilings and walls, and the ship just smelled nasty. The cabin... We had a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck, thankfully, which gave us a bit more space. The beds were, surprisingly, extremely comfortable and offered amazing rest. The cabin felt 18 years old with the exception of the oversized LCD televisions. We had issues with the desk area creaking and popping but the carpenters were able to shim up the cabinet and quiet the noise. Overall, it was comfortable and adequate. The food... Now THIS is really where the ship disappointed! The buffet and all restaurants produced mediocre food worthy of a nursing home and nothing better. We ate in the main dining room once, out of sheer curiosity. The service was nice but the food was just boring and bland. We resorted to the Crown Grill and Sabatini's for the rest of the sailing but found the food in those venues to be the same - boring, bland, and flavorless. It was as if the food in those restaurants was produced in the same kitchen as the main dining room. The only reason we ate in the paid dining rooms was for more attentive service and better ambiance. The pizza, oddly enough, was the most flavorful and enjoyable items we ate while onboard. Every day, we chose which food or venue we disliked the least when deciding where to eat. The staff... With the exception of the purser's desk, everyone onboard truly delighted! We had an amazing cabin steward (Decilone), Dr. Maria in the Lotus Spa administered the most amazing cocktails of age defying injections, and the restaurant wait staff were attentive and pleasant. The few times I visited the purser's desk, the staff seemed miserable and never managed to crack the slightest smile. I don't blame them, however. If I had to deal with 2,600 older, grumpy people, I too would be miserable. The Ultimate Ship Tour - WELL worth the expense and *HIGHLY* recommended!! We had more fun on the ship tour than during any other event while onboard. The staff were amazing, the areas we saw were intriguing, the snacks throughout the tour were a welcomed surprise, and the goodie-bags at the end were fantastic! Entertainment... We pretty much did our own thing most evenings so I can't comment on the nightly entertainment. None of the events during the days appealed to us (Bridge, knitting, card-playing, bingo, etc). Maybe in another 30-40 years but not at this time, thanks. I would normally spend time on deck, in the warm sun, with a band playing and an adult beverage in-hand but not on this sailing, sadly (weather). In summary, the ship is old and out-dated, the Internet is painfully slow and overpriced, the food is straight from a nursing home, the nightly entertainment was mostly enjoyable. The crew was amazing, considering the ship and the grumpy passengers.

Disappointed...