Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by travels with grammy

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

This was my fourth cruise with NCL. I was looking for a longer trip, and the 18-day itinerary had a good variety of places I wanted to visit, including the ports of Seattle and San Francisco where I had family to visit, Costa Rica and Acapulco which were on my bucket list, and familiar old haunts like Miami and Port Canaveral. The day we spent going through the Panama Canal was both educational and interesting. We covered a lot of territory with delightful days at sea full of fun and exciting entertainment and delicious food. We booked shore excursions with NCL and had very positive experiences. The NCL Sun is in ship shape, and immaculately clean. The staff, with very few exceptions, is friendly to a fault. They really do feel like family, my home away from home. A highlight of sea days was meeting with the Knitters and Stitchers and making new friends with some lovely ladies that are sure to be lifelong friends. I've already booked my next cruise, to Hawaii, for 2019. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars, is because there was such a long delay embarking. That was the first and hopefully last time that will happen.

travels with grammy's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9237

Very comfortable. The hairdryer was broken, but was repaired before I got back to my stateroom that day.

San Francisco

We met our son at Fisherman's Wharf, a short walk from the ship. Had a wonderful time, and ate at the famous Hard Rock Cafe.

Worth the cost. Nice 45-minute tour that included Lovers Beach, the Cabo Arch, and Divorce Beach on the other side. Complimentary soft drinks was a nice touch. Plenty of time to go shopping afterwards.

Scenic Victoria City Tour

Excellent, informative tour of the city. We were dropped off downtown across from the famous Empress Hotel. Wish I had forked over the $75 for high tea, but instead we bought some souvenirs in the gift shop. A lovely 45 minute walk back to the ship.

View All 61 Scenic Victoria City Tour Reviews

Our native tour guide, Santiago, was very informative and helpful. The divers were amazing, excellent shopping, delicious lunch overlooking the city with folkloric dancing as entertainment. I would go again.

Tarcoles River

Excellent tour guide explained the terrain from the bus and ecology from the river boat. We even experienced a tropical rain storm. Boat and pathways well covered. Nice souvenir shop, but not enough time to buy! Otherwise, excellent.

View All 45 Tarcoles River Reviews

We felt completely safe with Francisco, our NCL shopping guide. We followed him to 3 recommended jewelry stores, and still had time to walk around town. I bought a lovely emerald pendant without any pressure in a reputable shop. We even found a Hard Rock Cafe, where we bought shirts and were served free Pepsi!

View All undefined undefined Reviews

The boat ride was the best part. A lot of name dropping of celebrities, the rich and famous. The bus portion was quite long. There was no time allowed for any shopping. Still enjoyable. I lived in South Florida for 4 years and never did see that part of it. I probably would just take a boat ride next time.

Seattle

I grew up in the Seattle area, so a tour was not needed. We stayed with family the night before. So for me, starting from Seattle was a win-win.

travels with grammy