3. Coral Princess
We chose this particular cruise, as it was a full Panama Canal Transit. This had been on my husband's Bucket List for many years now and when he retired and we had unlimited "vacation time", I booked it immediately The Coral Princess is a pretty ship, smaller in size and has everything one needs. I will admit it is looking a bit worn, but kept immaculately clean. The public areas were decorated very nicely and all the seating was very comfortable. Be sure if you want to attend an event or one of the larger production shows, you get into the venue 45-60 min before show time. Usually there are things going on prior to the event in the same venue and a lot of people just stay. Getting a table in the Card Room was difficult at times, but we managed to ask people that were "saving" multiple tables to give one of them up. Many of the tables lift sides were in sad condition and one had to "work" on them to get them to stay up in place. One thing I did notice, is that our mini-suite balcony had quite a bit of rust on the metal parts of the ship and the patio furniture desperately needed to be replaced, It was usable but stained and faded. Plus I hated those plastic tiles that are laid down on the decking, like walking on Lego's! The banister railing had been recently varnished. The inside of our cabin was nice and very clean. Thanks Boylin, for taking good care of us! Some of the minor enhancements that could be looked at are, replacing or re-stretching the carpet, updating the old pictures, retiling the bathrooms. All of the previous items are cosmetic and did not effect my cruise. My biggest complaint was those small TV's with such limited programing to watch!! I know I am not on a cruise to watch TV, but I am a night owl and like to do so after the evening events have wound down!! I guess I was totally spoiled on the Royal Princess that have 50" TVs with On Demand programming!! Oh, the beds are to die for!! No, none, nada, complaints there!! The food and service was really good. In the main dining rooms it was a bit slow, as it seems like they had several new crew and the main waiter and helpers were getting to know each other? The food in Horizon Court was fabulous. I have never had such great tasting breads, meats, and gravies. Not to mention the absolutely fabulous desserts at least 8-10 to choose from, plus the most delicious tasting cookies ever! Try the Peanut Butter they are to die for!! Say hi to Carlos for me! We were on first name basis. Over all the cruise was wonderful. We met so many awesome people, several of which we will keep in contact with! If you are thinking of this itineray, do it!

Cruising the Panama Canal

Coral Princess Cruise Review by ctompkins

ctompkins’s Full Rating Summary
Get Coral Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D605
One thing I did notice, is that our mini-suite balcony had quite a bit of rust on the metal parts of the ship and the patio furniture desperately needed to be replaced, It was usable but stained and faded. Plus I hated those plastic tiles that are laid down on the decking, like walking on Lego's! The banister railing had been recently varnished. The inside of our cabin was nice and very clean. Thanks Boylin, for taking good care of us! Some of the minor enhancements that could be looked at are, replacing or re-stretching the carpet, updating the old pictures, retiling the bathrooms. All of the previous items are cosmetic and did not effect my cruise. My biggest complaint was those small TV's with such limited programing to watch!! I know I am not on a cruise to watch TV, but I am a night owl and like to do so after the evening events have wound down!! I guess I was totally spoiled on the Royal Princess that have 50" TVs with OnDemand programming!! Oh, the beds are to die for!! No, none, nada, complaints there!!
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Submarine
    So fun! We have never seen this many fish in either a glass bottom boat or snorkeling. The water was a little churned up because of the high winds but still was pretty clear. We dove to a depth of 145' onto the reef. I was a little worried that my ears would give me problems but the sub is pressurized, so none whatsoever!
    View All 55 Submarine Reviews
  • Horse Carriage Tour
    I loved riding in the Horse Carriage to see the Fort and the Old Walled City. The carraiges we very clean (unlike in Nassau when we were there). Our tour guide, Victoria, was awesome, funny and very knowledgeable about her city. I for one, not being the overly adventurous type, would not have wanted to walk by myself and husband in some of the places we went. The Old City was pretty good but still so many, very persistent, peddlers IN YOUR FACE. When at the Fort, (our first stop) I was a little anxious, as every which way you turned, they were in your face. Never touched me, but did grab my hubby's arm.
    View All 36 Horse Carriage Tour Reviews
  • Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    We did not take a ship excursion in this port but purchased a Inter-Coastal Waterway Taxi ride that took us to 10 stops, Hop on and Hop off. We left Hollywood Beach and went north approx 10 miles. We had been to this area many times and had not done this. If you want to see how the "Rich and Famous" live or the "boats" they cruise around, this is the trip for you. I have never seen such wealth!!! It was fun and the older taxi crew was hilarious!
    View All 1,926 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Review
  • Fuerte Amador (Balboa)
    You definitely can tell that Panama has a lot more money that Cartagena has, as this tender port was beautiful and very clean. The landscapiing and new parks, family picnicing and walking areas were so nice. Our tour consisted of a visit to the Mira Flores Locks Visitor Center which is really well done. We enjoyed the Museum part of this tour very much. We then continued on to the second portion of the tour which was a visit to the Old City of Panama. The buildings in this walled city have been beautifully restored. If you go, notice all of the varied styles of Wrought Iron. Reminds me so much of New Orleans, LA or Savannah, GA.
    View All 69 Fuerte Amador (Balboa) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fuerte Amador (Balboa) Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)
    We wanted to go on an excursion here and were pretty excited about this port. Lake Attalin is on my bucket list. After reading the excursion descriptions, I was disappointed that they all were so lengthy in time. We did not do a excursion, but went to the very nice marketplace built for the cruise ships. They had an outdoor bar, place to get food, Native music and dance area, and a lot of really nice vender areas. Since there will only be one more ship in port after ours for the season, the venders were more that happy to give you a very good deal! Yay for me, as I got Jade jewelry, placemats & table runners and misc items.
    View All 299 Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Review
  • Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)
    We had scheduled a Train Ride along with a River Float trip excursion, but the train was not in service so we ended up cancelling the trip. They did offer to refund a portion of the money and take us on a coach bus. We did not want to do a bus ride so just went into the little Market Place at the end of the ships doc. I was ok, usual souvenirs. Picked up coffee,
    View All 274 Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Cruise Port Reviews