3. Carnival Dream
This was my second cruise but the first cruise for my children who are 5 and 6. Our cruise sailed out of New Orleans. We drove down and parked our car in the garage. I was a little worried about that at first but the experience was so easy. Carnival had plenty of porters ready to help with our luggage from the car and then directed you where to park. Boarding the ship was relatively fast for the amount of people boarding. The line never stopped moving. We scheduled our boarding time from 1:30-2:00 and we were on the ship by 1:15. The only thing that I would add to this experience is that you are permitted to bring soda on the ship, but it must be in cans, not bottles. That also means no bottle water. When we got to our cabin at 1:30, our luggage was already in the hall waiting for us. Our room was an inside room. It was very clean. Shortly after arriving, we met our cabin steward, Merta. He was wonderful and always smiling. He came in and introduced himself and also put the bunks down for the kids. He brought extra towel because we had four people in our cabin. If traveling with children I do highly recommend getting children's motion sickness tablets. My children seemed to be doing well with the movement of the ship until my 6 year old woke up in the morning and threw up in her bed. Merta was quick to respond and take care of the issue. Anytime we saw him in the hallway he always smiled and asked how we were doing. The dining was great. Breakfast and lunch we usually ate the buffet or we would eat Guy's Burgers. The buffet always had several items to choose from. The hours were great and always seemed to be an option anytime of the day. We did not eat at the pizza place, but they were open 24 hours. For our evening dining, we did the our time dining. With two smaller kids, I felt this would be an easier option than having a set time. We were able to eat at our restaurant anytime between 5:30 and 9. The service in the restaurant was phenomenal. Each night we were greeted by Alina and after a few nights, my kids would run up to her and give her a hug. She was wonderful and always smiling. We had Jose three of the seven nights. Jose, Putu Edy, and Michael were wonderful. They interacted with the kids and made animals out of the napkins for them. One of the best parts is that they would always call us by name, making us feel special. Formal nights were amazing! The staff would have a song that they danced to each night. This made the experience that much better and enjoyable. We went to 4 of the shows during our cruise. Each and everyone of the shows were great! I love music and all the entertainers did a great job. My children enjoyed them as well. My children went to the Camp Ocean a few times during the cruise. They enjoyed their time there and asked to go back several times. It was their choice if they wanted to go, I did not force them to. My children also liked the pools as most kids do. I love that Carnival offers life jackets to the smaller kids. We also watched a movie on the Lido Deck. It had cooled off that night and Carnival had blankets that you could borrow while watching the movie. My kids thought that was wonderful that they were able to watch Coco in a lounge chair under a blanket. On one of the days at sea, my children were able to participate in the Sousa Palooza parade and story hour. The entertainment staff were so good with all the children and they loved how they were able to interact in the story. This cruise had everything for any type of vacation you want. The only thing that I did not rate as excellent was the shore excursions. We got off the ship in Jamaica and Cozumel and did the 10 Best in each stop. We wanted to shop and get souvenirs to remember our trip. The excursion description said there would be shopping but the tours were so rushed, you did not have much time to shop at all. I would have been better off to not pay the extra money for the excursion and just got off at the port and shopped there. Also be aware in Jamaica, everyone you meet expects a tip. They call you in for a picture then say, don't forget to tip for your picture. I found the people to be very pushy and rude. The service on the ship was extraordinary. One staff member by the name of Shujith was amazing. We met him while sitting outside and he interacted with my kids and made them towel animals. They thought that was so neat. We went to the towel folding class and he was there helping the kids fold their towels into animals. Each day he saw my kids, he would fold towels with them. Every crew member you came into contact with on the ship was always smiling and seemed so eager to make sure you were having fun. My children and I enjoyed our vacation so much and much of that is because of the staff on the Carnival Dream. Thank you for making this such a memorable experience. We are already planning our next cruise.

Wonderful and Relaxing Cruise!

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by cusman

cusman’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Dream price drops

• Best of Cozumel
    Much better than Jamaica. Still too rushed to get much shopping done. Tour guides were great.
    View All 108 Best of Cozumel Reviews
  • City Tour
    Tour guides were great. Locals were rude and very pushy for tips. Went on the tour for shopping opportunities, was too rushed to get much shopping done.
    View All 26 City Tour Reviews