Celebrity Summit Review

2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2018
Cabin: Ocean View 7

This was my first cruise on Celebrity, I've previously sailed on Holland America. Thus, this review is somewhat of a comparison of my experiences on both lines.

Embarking: San Juan is very accessible. Found out that Celebrity actually asked for a hard copy of my boarding pass, which I didn’t bother to print. I had to break out my laptop to show them, and even then they still had to write some information down manually. Otherwise, since the boarding time was pretty stretched from 11 AM to about 6 PM, there were no long lines and it took like 15 minutes total. Once on the ship, however, our room wasn’t ready until almost 2 PM. I prefer the more paperless approach and earlier readiness of the room on HAL, but with proper preparation it’s not a big issue. Very slight edge to HAL.

Internet: Celebrity didn’t have a ship app available for the Summit. Plus to HAL. Internet Speed was decent enough, especially in public spaces, for me to connect to email and work VPN. I think SpeedTest results were about 2.5-3.0 Mbps. Generally, this is a win for Celebrity.

Ocean View 7

I had a Deck 2 ocean-view cabin. It seemed smaller than the HAL OV cabins on the Vista and Signature class ships, and a bit more dated. The Summit really needs the refurbishment for its cabins expected in early 2019. The bed was not as nice and firm as the ones on HAL, and there was less storage space. The shower and toilet worked fine. The S-class ships would have better cabins, I’m sure. One plus is that the window was quite large and provided a real feel for being at sea and not at an apartment. Our cabin attendant was highly visible and fixed up the room very quickly between our trips to the dining areas. Service-wise, he was on the same level as the better attendants I’ve had on HAL. On the whole, slight edge to HAL here.

3 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Celebrity Summit Cruise from $221

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.