Vision of the Seas Cruise Review
1,229 Reviews

Beautiful ship with lots to do

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Barndog9

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Spacious Ocean View Balcony

My parents invited my husband and I to take this transatlantic cruise with them. This was the 4th cruise we had been on and the first transatlantic. Like the first cruise on Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas back in 2010, the Vision was a fabulous experience. While a smaller (and older) ship, it was pristine and immaculate and the layout was great. Easy to get around, lots happening everywhere (you could not get bored on this ship!), and outstanding service. I have to admit that when I saw the ship docked in Galveston, I thought "oh my, this looks old and outdated" as we had been on the Coral Princess about 5 years ago (to Panama) and that ship was the same age as Vision, but it was horribly run-down and smelled awful (mold, wet shower curtain) in the hallways and staterooms). But once we boarded the Vision, we saw this was a beautiful ship, our room (standard with balcony) was clean and sparkling, and the common areas were all updated and well maintained.

The food was not as good as I recall on the Voyager, but better than Princess (besides the Coral Princess in 2015, we have been on the Emerald Princess back in 2011). The Windjammer Buffet was great - many healthy options and wide variety. The dining room was mostly quite good but a few items were sub-par (cuts of meat quality in particular). Dining room staff was outstanding and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy, same for our stateroom attendant. All in all, this is a good size ship (2,000) and I would definitely recommend for an older clientele - not much for children here but definitely caters to the older (75+) crowd.

Note that I gave a "3" for entertainment. The reason is that I'm 56 years old and one of the youngest on board - the entertainment (shows, music venues) was definitely geared toward the 75+ age group with ballroom dancing, classical music, and lots of Frank Sinatra. Not my cup of tea, but the majority of passengers loved it, so if you like that type of entertainment, this ship is for you.

I also want to give kudos to the Cruise Director's staff. Cruise Director Steve Davis was the BEST - a true performer and "people person" all round. His Activities Manager Talita was also fabulous, along with Stephanie and Jakob. They were all very visible and engaged with the passengers throughout the entire cruise (like on the Voyager but unlike Princess, where you never knew who the cruise director was or even saw him/her). Quite an obvious difference in the way this position/department is viewed by Royal Carribbean v. Princess.

Barndog9's Full Rating Summary

Spacious Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 4B 7568

Clean, great location. Loved our stateroom attendant, Caswyn Gibson - he deserves a Gold Star!

Beautiful 3 mile hike along top of craters looking down on Sete Cicades. Definitely recommend.

Alicante

We did the tour to the mountain village of Guadalest, which was little more than a glorified tourist trap. Yes, it has history as a mountain fortress but there were so many people, we were not able to have any kind of guided tour so we didn't know what we were looking at most of the time. Too hard to navigate the hoardes of people around all the cheesy souvenir shops.

Just my husband and I signed up for this excursion (out of a ship of 2,000 passengers!) but they still did it for us and we had a fabulous day with our guide Nancy as she expertly guided us on a 10 mile bike ride to many different areas of San Juan.

City Tour

Our guide was very good (Maria) and gave us good information and history on our walking tour. Going with a guide is the best way to access the Cathedral, as the lines were very long for people not in an organized group.

View All 77 City Tour Reviews

Fun walking tour of Malaga highlights and stops at 3 restaurants for Tapas tastings (which were very generous servings, not just "bites"). Our guide Beatrice was wonderful and gave us a lot of great history about the city. Definitely recommend.

Barndog9