3. Carnival Spirit
I booked this cruise for me and my two children (ages 11 and 8). We hadn't been on a holiday in years so were very much looking forward to our trip. I chose a short trip (4 days from Sydney to Moreton Island) as a sampler for my children (I have cruised before on P&O and knew I'd likely enjoy it)..... Well this turned out to be an understatement as the kids LOVED it and we are looking to book another cruise for later this year/early next year!! With a kids club, 24 hour pizza (My son loved) and 24 hour icecream this cruiseliner is a great choice for kids and families. My kids spent most of their time in the pools! They also enjoyed the gaming arcade (standard onshore prices so wait until they do a 'half price special hour (announced in their activity schedule), the kids menus (perfect for fussy eaters), the mini golf and the PG-rated comedy shows!! They didn't try the slides or kids club but we heard from other kids and parents how great these were! The cocktails- cheaper than onshore prices and a good variety. I thought wine was steep in price and refused to buy it. There are limited choices of beer and wine on the cruise. Water, lemonade, coffee, tea and got chocolate free any time of day or night. The food- lots and lots of options here (We didn't have time to try it all). If you are used to (and/or expect) 5 star restaurant food in the MDR or buffet then you will not be happy with the quality. However considering the fact that the crew feed over 2000 passengers for breakfast, lunch and dinner then it would be fair to say that the food is of great standard. We did have to walk around and look for a table in the buffet a couple of times which was annoying (and there can be long queues to get to the buffet food) but to avoid this you could go in less congested times. Lots of choice in buffet and they cater for many people (vegetarian etc). The wait staff in MDR were excellent and for dinner I thought the MDR was better than the buffet as not only was it nice to sit down and be waited on, but it was also an opportunity to sit with other familis and make friends (which we did)! I also found that I couldn't over-eat in the MDR as I had done in the buffet at both breakfast and lunch times!! You certainly don't go on a cruise to lose weight!! Guys Burger joint- like sloppy Joes. Good if you like meaty meat (!). My daughter loved cheeseburgers from here. Fat Jimmy's barbecue- I only tried this once. Okay but I wouldn't rave about it. Bbq food like sausages and pulled pork, salads and veges. For a short cruise there are just too many food options!! People who complain about the food may be on longer cruises or, as previously suggested, have bigger expectations and possibly more refined tastebuds!! Staff generally lovely and very welcoming, especially room stewards. I note that they are notes friendly as they were on a P&O cruise I went on some years ago. Staff always cleaning and maintaining ship. Always clean and tidy. Always someone to find if you have a problem or query. Entertainment- lots of choice from shows to comedy. Night time atmosphere is great. It's a little quieter during the day with bingo, seminars etc except I found that not much beat a cocktail and a laze around the pool! Moreton Island- Shore excursions are expensive but you don't need to do them! Lots of things to do without spending a cent or activities costing very little. Enjoy the beaches, self-snorkelling, resort pool and free beach activities as set up by Carnival. Overall this cruise was great value for money and we will definately be doing another (longer) one!!

Value for money! Great for kids & families

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by LorraineD13

• Sail Date: April 2018
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Extended Balcony

The cocktails- cheaper than onshore prices and a good variety.

LorraineD13’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Extended Balcony
Cabin 8K 7279
Vijay was our cabin steward and was very helpful and remembered our names- always greeted us with a smile :-) The room (although dated... going into dry dock at the end of May for refurbishment) was good and of a decent size (having an extended balcony certainly helped to stretch out the size). Lots of storage and had everything we needed. Beds and pillows very comfy- with the rocking of the ship and the comfortable beds it was easy to fall asleep! No problems with noise in this cabin. Lovely to have a balcony to enjoy the view and let natural light into the room!
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins