Carnival Horizon Cruise Review

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review by legacy1967

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

This was the 3rd cruise trip my sisters and I had with Carnival. We were very excited about our trip to Europe and be on Carnival's new ship Horizon.

The ship has a new elevator system. The high tech system was designed to increase efficiency and reduce wait time. We didn't notice any improvement in wait time. Most of the time, we were tire of waiting and took the stairs instead.

The 2nd night was the formal night. To get to the dining room, there's a new system. First, we went to a lounge on a different floor to register. We were given a pager. The pager would go off when our table was ready. We waited at the lounge along with many others. And we waited... After 2 hours, one of my sisters decided not to wait any longer and we walked straight to the dining room. We were taken to a table in 2 minutes. As we sat down, we noticed many empty tables around us. We were so hungry that we literally inhaled the food. By the time we ordered the desserts, the server said they were closing soon and hurried us to order. It was the most terrible dining experience we ever had on ships and on land. Two days later, we tried the dining room, again. There was no wait time and the dining room was half full. Other than the ox tongue appetizer, everything else was dry and rubbery. We were discouraged completely and did not go back to the dining room again. Now, let’s talk about Lido. The breakfast choices were exactly the same every single morning. We didn’t want to have breakfast there after the 4th day. We rather ate the cold pizza we saved from the night before. We ordered one breakfast from room service but the selections were limited to bakery and fruits only. Supper at Lindo reminded me of my years living in the university dormitory. The desserts at Lindo were cakes and nothing but cakes. I took one piece one night. It wasn’t good, so I left 2/3 on the plate. I tried a different cake two nights later. This time, I managed to finish half.

The positive food experience we had was the night at the Japanese restaurant having Teppanyaki. The food was nice and the price was reasonable. We had sushi in the same restaurant on another night and it was pretty good, too. The servers were courteous and helpful. We were pleased with the dinner on both nights.

There were many brand name shops on the ship; more than the average cruise ships we had been to. The little gift shop was about the size of my closet at home. We didn’t buy anything on the ship this time.

The stateroom we were in was reasonably clean and comfortable. After all, Horizon is a new ship. The bathroom had an unpleasant odor when we got there. We did our own cleaning with Lysol and rubbing alcohol we brought along on the trip. It was okay for the rest of the staying.

There was something about the corridor in the cabin section I want to mention. The floor was uneven. It dropped and raised unexpectedly. We walked gingerly to avoid tripping and falling.

The overall experience on the ship was fine. If it’s not because of the disastrous food experience and the poor dining room management, I would have given it 4 starts instead of 2. Carnival Horizon is a very nice ship. I hope my review will help Carnival to make the necessary improvements for the future vacationers.

legacy1967's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

It was a half day excursion. We love the tour guide on the bus. She was very helpful. We enjoy the free time.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

Excellent

View All 505 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
Sorrento

The thing I like the least about this excursion was to be taken to a shop to make us shop for things that were expensive and no use to us.

View All 165 Sorrento Reviews

St. Peter's Basilica

Very nice

View All 131 St. Peter's Basilica Reviews
Florence & Pisa Tour

Love this excursion. We got a lot of free time on our own to explore.

View All 274 Florence & Pisa Tour Reviews
Avignon Walking Tour

Fantastic! The tour guide was very helpful.

View All 41 Avignon Walking Tour Reviews