Island Princess Cruise Review
1,190 Reviews

Guess I'm the only one, but it was below par

Island Princess Cruise Review by Golf4

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We picked this cruise as we had done one like it on the Coral Princess. This was really disappointing. The food in the Horizon was barely palatable and almost the same every day. The food in the dinning room was less than stellar. We had been on the Grand in February and loved the food. Island needed a new chef or better cooks. Our waiters were the "do nothing beyond serve" guys. I had to go to the dinning clerk to get them to sell me an after dinner shot of Baileys. My free bottle of wine was only what they could walk over and get, yet another waiter got me the one I wanted (he had to go downstairs, couldn't my waiter - I guess not) The room steward, on the other hand, was beyond belief. He was truly the best of the best and I always find room stewards good, but Kamal was superior. The ship is over crowded. The production shows were one the second night and not another until the trip was almost over. The rest of the entertainment were unfunny comedians, a guy with 1000 voices who sounded the same, but!!! Branden and James (entertainers) were by far the most outstanding performers I have seen on a ship. No wonder they were on America's got Talent. Overall the cabin was fine, the service except for our waiters was good, we missed Nicaragua because of riots, but Ensenada was fine and food there is better than ship. Ship is over crowded because they added additional rooms and removed the Vista lounge and no International Cafe in the atrium. The Cruise Director was nice and lower key than most. Would I go on the Island again, no but that is because I found the food poor (one of my table mates sent back their entree four different times it was so bad) that mostly I ate pasta,.

Golf4's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BE A207

Its a balcony. Room was kept clean and nice. Always on Princess the shower had a curtain unlike RCC with a plastic enclosure so that water does not drip on the floor. The rest of the cabin was fine. They enlarged the TV so we lost the shelf under the TV which was inconvenient. View was fine. Its a Princess Balcony, not much to add.

Huatulco

We walked around the town. Had lunch at a restaurant. Food was very good. Friends took the tour to the archeological site and said that it was hot, dry, too many stairs, and they had to stand for too long listening to the guide. Many went back to the bus.

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

Did the "Antigua on your own" tour, hired a guide and she took us all over with a great deal of knowledge and advice. She found us a great restaurant that had authentic Guatemalan food for a reasonable price. Highly recommend this.

Manzanillo

We would have gone to Colima with lunch as we did this before but because of a change in itinerary we got there at 2pm so we chose to walk around and eat. The port is a port and really not geared for 2100 tourists. Tried to buy a silver chain for a necklace and the shop worker couldn't convert to dollars. Colima was wonderful, Manzanillo not so much.

Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)

I've done all the tours here so just walked the town (people are very friendly), had lunch, and shopped. Great port.

Golf4