Celebrity Summit Review

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2018
Cabin: Aqua Class

Greetings, One and All. By my guesstimate, this was my 12th cruise, though my first repositioning sailing. In total transparency... I readily admit it's been ten years since my last one...also on the Summit where I had 3 adjoining, balcony rooms... Kids and Godparents necessitated that togetherness. That being said, you know it's a bad omen when you show up at the cruise terminal four hours prior to departure and there's no one remotely in the vicinity to check your mountain of luggage (not all mine, mostly hers). However, we were efficiently prodded and pushed from one check point to the next (like cattle on the way to slaughter) with no one individual breathing my air, able to answer the oft repeated question, "where do we check our luggage?" It was only after we stumbled headlong into the ship with bags in tow, did I realize the all-important question would never be answered. Moving over a hundred fifty pounds of luggage up numerous elevators, and down multiple hallways made me grateful this "fat boy" works out five days a week. Evidently, the Aqua Class, to my chagrin, is in name only... most likely to insure a specific room selection, not necessarily VIP ingress and egress, per the (Aqua Class perks in Celebrity's description.)

I started calling guest relations on day one to voice my displeasure and finally got a response on day four. Seems because we were there at 4:30 P.M., we fell headlong through the crevasses and cracks. Guessing we should have been there at high noon taking advantage of another Aqua Class Perk, the VIP lounge, that never crossed our path through the cattle chute. Not an acceptable answer, I'm sorry. But, moving ahead to day six, I started calling to confirm an expedited exit on Sunday to catch a noon flight out of Laguardia. It took until day eight to firm that up. I understand, I'm a small fish in a big pond, but since I'm a published author and blogger...I do come with an outlet of my opinion. In the midst of that conversation, live and in person I might add, I'd given up on a prompt return call, I asked for credit on the welcoming bottle of champagne I failed to receive the first night (too tired from the luggage fiasco...no doubt) to apply toward a bottle of red wine for a 1:00P.M. $50.00 brunch in the Tuscan Grill. Seems that wasn't possible, (the champagne was complimentary) but because they could, Guest Relations would send a bottle immediately to my room, 9:00 AM by my watch. Well, Boy Howdy...A bottle of Pinot Noir miraculously appeared in our stateroom sometime after 2:00 PM or by estimate..."long after our delicious brunch had come and gone."

Select Dining is a misnomer in Aqua Class. It's spelled J O K E. Don't believe you can eat in the main dining room when you want and where you want, as well as, Blu. It doesn't happen or if it does, I'll truly never know. Multiple attempts to eat with the regular folks, fell on deaf ears. Finally, my wonderful cabin steward took matters into his own hands, and within thirty minutes, the maitre d, whose name I'll withhold, left a message and even followed up with a return call, offering to make it right. Sadly, by then, the second to last day of our cruise, we were over making it right. Heck...we even contemplated jumping ship in Bermuda, hanging around a day or two and flying home. But, thanks to the cajoling of a Beautiful, Jewish Lady from Jersey, we stuck it out. She was definitely a delight to be around and was most confident our trip would get better. If it didn't...well we could always ask for a discount on our next cruise. Really...I'm thinking Viking River Cruise. Ya think Celebrity would help us out on that one?

Aqua Class

Cabin A1

Excellent choice....open balcony.....attentive steward.

Port Reviews

St. Thomas

St. Thomas is still under repair.

St. Maarten

We took our own tour of the island. It, too, is under repair.

King's Wharf

We rented a moped and toured the island for two days. Exceptional island, awesome beaches, and beautiful people. Spend a day in St. George. You won't be disappointed.

previous reviewnext review

Find a Celebrity Summit Cruise from $221

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.