Carnival Conquest Cruise Review
1,646 Reviews

1st and definitely won't be our last!

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by 1stcruisenewbie

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I think I joined every Carnival Cruise/Conquest group I could find once I booked this cruise to celebrate my husband's big 50th birthday. I worked directly with Carnival when booking and my PVP Oscar was lots of fun but I can only say I wish I knew then what I know now. I had asked in the beginning if I could pay for and book/hold 8 rooms so I could get the one room free perk and was told that I needed the names and dates of birth of all 8 rooms prior to booking so he steered me in the direction of setting up our booking and having our friends and family call in and add to our booking so that we would be linked together. I found out after the fact that you can pay to get names added and removed easily. Over the period of 1.5 years we managed to get 13 rooms booked and Oscar was contacted everytime. I was hurt that there was nothing offered to celebrate my husbands birthday and the fact that we had booked 13 rooms. I was given John Heald's FB page by the Carnival Twitter guy who answered a majority of my first timer questions and he- Sean was incredible and said John was the man to ask for something special. I messaged him and was told to message again right before and it ended up being such a hassle as we live abroad and didn't have easy access to wifi in Florida before the cruise.

Anyway I was more excited about getting our friends and family together to shower my husband with so much love on this milestone birthday. I created door decorations for all 13 rooms, I hauled party props all the way from India for almost everyday of the cruise for all 26 of our friends. I researched the tours, menu's, deck plans, fun times, theme and deck parties and everything I could read on the cruise.

I purchased the FTTF for our room and luckily it opened again a few weeks before and 5 more rooms from our party managed to jump on that. It was worth every penny in my opinion as boarding was a breeze but even more important was that the line to speak with someone at the front office was normally so long and having that dedicated person for us... priceless!!! Zorana at the front office is AMAZING!!!!

We stayed in room 1062 on the panorama deck and the location is fantastic for a few reasons.....

There are 2 usb ports on each of the bedside lamps

A/C super cold at night and fridge also cold

Loved the baseboard motion sensor lights that detected midnight pee needs but I still recommend a small light for the bathroom

It's one up from the lido to ease of access to the lido, spa, serenity and it wasn't busy or loud because most things were below our floor.

We were right on the back side of the elevators and heard nothing! We never heard any nice from the lido deck but we also weren't in the room long enough to really listen.

Once on board our luggage arrived within 2 hours and when I went to open it I realized that someone I believe had used a TSA key to check inside but on closing it they must have moved my numbers for my lock as the combination I've used for the past 2 years no longer worked. I called the operator to see if they had someone with the TSA key that could unlock my luggage.She said that they would send someone right after the safety briefing so we went right back to the room and missed sail away but at least we had a balcony to hang out on. Well after an hour of waiting the guy showed up with a screwdriver and hammer. WHAT!!!!! No way was he coming anywhere close to my luggage with that! I sent him away as he said they don't have access to TSA keys on board. Luckily I fiddled with it and one of the digits had been changed and it opened.

I also had booked a reservation for 26 of us for the steakhouse on my husbands birthday and double checked that and the manager was fabulous about picking tables. I was bummed because I didn't realize that the majority of the tables are bolted to the floor so they could not be moved to accommodate our party in a cozier way. I then went down to the restaurant to check our tables and see where they were only to find out that Oscar failed to link my father and our friends from London to our group booking so they were put in another dining room and because it was a sold our spring break cruise Mustafa the maitre'd could not guarantee that we would sit together. I was so shocked I cried as we had done everything right on our end when booking and to find out that Oscar had dropped the ball really ruined my first few hours knowing that our group was not linked was devastating. Mustafa made miracles happen and although we were squished like sardines, we were all together and it was fabulous!!!

Guy's burgers great! loved the topping bar. The panini sandwich shop is also a must try and as other have commented, there are 2 lines so look to see which is shorter before blindly standing in line. Pizza place is the perfect spot at 1am and the Iguana burrito bar for breakfast. We purchased the cheers package and loved that you could get specialty coffee's, water, sports drinks and red bull's too. Rohit at the coffee bar on the lido deck was slow as molasses but so sweet that it was hard not to like him. We tried the seafood shack one day and I wished I had saved my money.

Emma ruth at the casino bar is AWESOME so fast and friendly! Larry in the sports bar also such a cool cat! I have to say that everyone from our room steward Gusti to the guys at dinner G-day & Joey made the whole trip phenomenal!!

We had brought costumes for a possible white night and 80's party but that never took place. The mega deck party was lots of fun and they gave out beads to everyone and did ALL the line dances. Chloe truly is incredible and the funniest night was when we went to the Love and Marriage show.... Definitely a must see! We went to the 80's performance which was also great. Saw both comedians and didn't find either very funny but if you want to be a part of the show sit in the first row!

Food choices in the dining room where great but the portions are small. I'm glad that I read that you could order more than one appetizer, entree and dessert. We all ordered extra items and it really worked out great as we got to try some new items while enjoying the usual things we like.

We had excursions booked at every stop so we never had a problem getting off the ship. The first day we had 17 in our group doing the segway on Blue Lagoon Island and I tried telling them twice and was dismissed and that ended up being a pain. We all got off and they were shocked that there were so many of us in one group that they pushed our tour time back by 3 hours. The island is awesome and bring your swimsuit. They also put a group of 4 with our group so they had only enough seaways for everyone signed up that the employee all had to walk. They were also running 20 minutes behind so I feel like we were given a shorted tour but it was still lots of fun for our group but I don't think the 4 people stuck with us enjoyed it as much.

I booked the villa on Half Moon Cay and it is worth every penny!!!! Villa D was ours and it was close enough to everything but far enough away so that the beach chairs in front were still fairly empty.

Grand Turks excursions were cancelled as the weather was rough the night before so we walked outside of the cruise gate and rented a car for $60 for the day which actually equates to a couple hours. Beware though that the price goes up and down for everything outside of the gate. Our friends rented a jeep for $100, moped for $40 but it ran out of gas 50 feet down the road. The guy trying to rent the van wanted $90 at first but after we waited for him to fill up gas he went down to $60. It's a very small island that can be driven around in less than an hour.

In the Dominican Republic we took the Ultimate adventure tour that does the horseback, zipline and lunch. It was great but it is a cattle run operation in that one group is always ahead of you and behind you. The staff is great and the zipline guys super funny!! We had David as our tour guide and he was a hoot!!! The only thing I didn't care for was that after every part of the tour they wanted a tip and said that the horseback employees didn't share with the zipline. They make more money this way but it just left a sour taste as I think they should all pull tips.

All in all it was a fabulous cruise with amazing family and friends, staff and the best memories that will last forever.

1stcruisenewbie's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin 8D 1064

Not sure of the category but it was a wonderful room in a fantastic location

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)

Ultimate adventure that was lots of fun and the lunch was great! David our tour guide was sooooooooooo much fun!!!!

Scuba - Certified

We actually never got to dive as they cancelled the excursion due to weather but I was really glad they did and they just credited our on board account so we had more money for the casino and booze!

View All 28 Scuba - Certified Reviews

Worth every penny!!! Do it! Jacuzzi, bathroom, fridge and there are lounge chairs, regular chairs. It was perfect since half our group liked the shade and the other half the sun

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Blue Lagoon Island Beach

Fantastic but beware that there are set ferry times and you can't come and go as you please so we were pushed to the last tour time for segway because of our large group and didn't have much time to explore Nassau when we returned

View All 284 Blue Lagoon Island Beach Reviews
Segway Tour

The island is wonderful and you can walk around and explore and watch the dolphins and sea lion encounters. Beach is crystal clear and gorgeous. The staff for the segway tour are phenomenal as there were 17 of us. I did feel like they shortened the tour and they had to walk alongside us as there were no more segways so we went much slower.

View All 46 Segway Tour Reviews

Worth every penny! The dedicated line at the front office is fantastic! Especially great when there are tender boats. We got on the first one for Half Moon Cay and they rest of our group showed up 4 hours later as they had not purchased it and the lines to get ashore were so long

View All undefined undefined Reviews