3. Brilliance of the Seas
The transatlantic cruise was on my wife's bucket list. 8 days of open ocean until we hit the Azores. A bit long, but put a couple books back on the shelf after reading them during the crossing. The refrigerator in our superior ocean view with balcony never got fixed the whole cruise even though we let the stateroom attendant know about it. Schooner bar was staffed with two competent bartenders, Oldemar and Meliza. They kept us lubricated under the Deluxe Beverage Package. The revamped menus were okay, nothing special. The food tasted okay, nothing special. Only one Tarantella that I could recall. Although, we did the Chef's Table one night which was superb! The Azores shore excursion in Ponta Gorda was a bust. The whole island was fogged in. The tour guide was kind enough to show the picture on her phone as we made each stop to see Sete Cidades and tell us that was what we would have seen. The orchestra onboard was outstanding, especially the drummer. We left Ponta Gorda and enroute to Ireland, the Captain made the decision not to put into Waterford or Dublin because of a winter storm kicking up waves of 15 meters or more. Darn, that's why we came. To his credit, he put together an informative PowerPoint presentation in the theater to explain his reasoning with weather charts, navigation charts, meteorological forecasts and the like. Everyone in attendance applauded. As a token, he offered to overnight in Cork so we could have two days there. I commend his decision in the interest of safety. We left Cork and in two days we arrived in Amsterdam. We took the shore excursion to the Keukenhof Tulip Gardens with airport drop-off. Beautiful gardens at their peak, only so for a short window in the spring. But we weren't departing, so at the airport, we grabbed a taxi to the hotel where we spent two nights in Amsterdam before heading home. This was the first time in 17 RCCL cruises I've used Air2Sea to make flight arrangements. I'll just say, I am going to do so from now on with the deal we got for the trip home.

We sailed too early to miss winter storms

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by jimobrien

• Sail Date: April 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

The orchestra onboard was outstanding, especially the drummer.

jimobrien’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 2D 9072
Comfortable bed pushed together. Great to have a balcony. The refrigerator never worked. Stateroom attendant brought ice twice a day as requested.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins