Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by DGordon0420

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Inside

My wife and I wanted to celebrate her finishing her Bachelor's degree and our anniversary. Since we live close by Boston we wanted to sail out of Boston. I heard a lot of terrible stories about embarkation but ours was really smooth.

Our cabin was an interior cabin. It was great for the two of us. It says you could sleep four but I think more than two would be too cramped. Storage space is limited, I think next time I would pack less and if I needed I could wash clothes on the ship. There is a great special of $20 a laundry bag while at port.

The first day at sea the waters were pretty rough, but we were a bit concerned not knowing if this was the norm. We asked around and everyone assured us this was the exception and sailing was much smoother the second night and day. We encountered another round of bad weather on the way home but it was again only one night and part of the day until things got back to normal.

The food was mixed. The complimentary dining had some bright spots, some different/strange (to us), and some bad. The buffet dining for breakfast and lunch was 50/50 some things were amazing like the breads and the fruit, the warm was the best I can say for hot foods. My biggest tip is get the omelette, if you want eggs the pre made eggs were always cold and not good. the omelette was great cooked to order and very good, it is just at the end of the buffet. The food at the Venetian was average. I ordered the stuffed potato skins for an appetizer, which to be honest was pretty good, but was not what I expected. The menu said with lump crab stuffing, which ended up being like crab salad (tuna salad but with crab) which was very good. the potato skin was cooked as expected but it was cold, again tasted great but not what was expected (I did eat them separately). The specialty restaurants were a different story. The best was the French restaurant, the Brazilian steakhouse, followed closely by Cagney steakhouse and the Teppanyaki. All four place are amazing but the first two just set new highs in standards. The Mexican food was typical Mexican cuisine although the guacamole made at the table was amazing and the corn cut off the cob at the table for a side was incredible and I am not a fan of corn.

The entertainment, activities and service were amazing. It really exemplified what customer service should be. Even at the places that we didn't care for the food service was great. The entertainment was amazing, even on the rough days the entertainment was the best. Doing gymnastics and the such while the ship was rocking a bit can not be easy. All of the staff tried to make sure you were enjoying everything. From all the house keeping staff saying hello, and good morning, to the bar staff remembering our names, to the bands encouraging us to dance by waving us up, they all wanted you to have fun and enjoy their ship. The ship itself was so clean I was shocked at how clean it was kept. Our room steward was great answering any questions and talking to us and asking us questions to help get our answers. That is not even considering what amazing service he did by cleaning up the room every morning and the turn down service every evening. The faculty really made the whole cruise wonderful, we did not have one even average encounter with any of them which is amazing everything was above average to amazing.

The Island of Bermuda is beautiful. Such gorgeous scenery and beaches. We did two excursions, the Horseshoe Bay transfer and the Gosling Rum Cruise. If you like sampling rums and seeing the scenery this is great for you. I loved it and would so go again, my wife enjoyed it but would not go again, she just does not like rum that much. The Horseshoe Bay transfer was a great learning experience for us. First, our bus driver was amazing, and Horseshoe Bay was wonderful. The only bad part is you only get three to three and a half hours there. For less money you can purchase a bus pass for the day and stay all day. There are some great deals right off the boat for public transportation (buses and ferries) for less than excursions if you just want explore.

We are already looking at booking another cruise with Norwegian from Boston to Bermuda in 2019 and bringing more of the family.

DGordon0420's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin IC 12511

Very clean, great for two. Would not recommend four people though. Great location close to the pool and elevators, but far enough away to not have too much noise.

Horseshoe Bay Beach

Horseshoe bay was amazing, the bus driver was great. Only had three hours was bad.

View All 172 Horseshoe Bay Beach Reviews