3. Carnival Legend
An interesting cruise. Embarkation went very well and quick - very efficient. Decor inside ship is very dark - if I had a choice I would paint all the dark brown areas a light off white colour. But it is what it is. If you are a regular cruiser on RCL or Princess I believe you will be disappointed with Carnival - it is a step down. The main complaint I have is that the food was of a lower quality and variety to that I have experienced on RCL and Princess. The Lido deck food was much below that found on Windjammers and Horizons. I didn't mind this cruise as I wanted to see Tahiti but several first time cruisers expressed disappointment and much of that due to long at sea periods of 6 days and 5 nights. I quite liked the daily news sheet known as Fun Times compared to RCL and Princess daily sheets - very few conflicts with daily activities and easy to read. The movie screen in theatre was small and not enough movies were shown on cruise. Went to a "meet and mingle" - waste of time - no one mingled and I had the unfortunate circumstance to sit next to a fellow who said one word. Did chat with a lovely USA couple from California though and I saw them from time to time during cruise. One aspect that was first class was Cruise Director Jen Baxter - a pocket dynamo who was on the go non stop - so much fun. Her cruise directing staff were also so much to be around - remembered one's name and always said hello - the best overall cruise directing staff I've experienced in 13 cruises to date. One of the senior officers named Eric was also very friendly and helpful. Thought the singers and dancers were pretty good but backdrops for shows were better on RCL and Princess. Also RCL and Princess have live bands supporting them rather than machine music. Many of the shows were of high quality although at least one comedy show was pathetic and he didn't get a second chance. Dining was satisfactory but menu selection was average to be kind. Occasionally service was a little slow as well - fortunately we had 2 lovely couples at our table which made for excellent conversation. If you like trivia competitions you will not be disappointed and very competitive with some smart people participating resulting in high scores - sometimes perfect scores. There were occasional accusations of cheating in scoring as people were allowed to make own papers - should be marked independently although recognising it should be for fun mostly as prizes are cheap and should not be taken too seriously. We were meant to go to Fiji but cyclone meant it was impossible so ship went to Tonga instead - excellent effort by ship to look after passengers safety and also provide an alternative shore visit. Shore visits to Noumea, Tonga, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorée and Hawaii were all good and plenty to see and do at each port. Thought ship prices were slight more expensive than RCL and Princess. Alcohol prices are excessive but all cruise lines charge excessive fees - my local RSL and Club are cheaper. There were quite a few children on this cruise but not an issue. Although there were quite a few sea days the daily program was quite full. The ship is need of some repair and is due to go in for a 2 week maintenance in a dock shortly - if you closely at ships side a lot of paint is pealing and back to bare metal. Cabin was fine and good room steward. If I were to rate Carnival I would suggest 3 to 3.5 star whereas RCL and Princess are 4 star. Thought the enrichment lectures were of high quality and informative. Often too windy to play mini golf which was a shame. Disembarkation was sloppy - US and Canadian passengers getting priority and there was a long due by the time customs officials started. Some people took over an hour to get off. Would I travel Carnival again - if price was right and itinerary was somewhere I wanted to go then perhaps but would not be my first preference.

Carnival Legend Review Repositioning Cruise 03 to 21 Apr18

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by jj76b

• Sail Date: April 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
An interesting cruise. Embarkation went very well and quick - very efficient.

Thought ship prices were slight more expensive than RCL and Princess.

There were quite a few children on this cruise but not an issue.

Although there were quite a few sea days the daily program was quite full.

Cabin was fine and good room steward.

Thought the enrichment lectures were of high quality and informative.

Often too windy to play mini golf which was a shame.

jj76b’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E 5225
Nice cabin and reasonable size - bigger than Princess and about same size as RCL. minor repairs were conducted on shower and more significant work on outside balcony by maintenance staff while I was onboard.
Loved the towel animals each day but can you believe someone complained that they were all in white !!!
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins