Sanctuary Yangzi Explorer Cruise Review

Melbdemon On the Yangtse

Sanctuary Yangzi Explorer Cruise Review by MelbDemon

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: Asia River

This cruise was a 4 day part of a 22 day scenic tour of china so not exactly sure what part of the total tour cost this was.

WE were fortunate that we were upgraded to a suite (see below) though weren't entitled to the benefits that came with it..ie laundry as one of our fellow tour members found out.

Ship: was a large "best available" vessel on the Yangtze river decorated in true Chinese style with an adequate theatre ,gym, well appointed lounge looking out onto a front deck area.

This area had movable seating though wasn't under cover but was an excellent viewing area when going through the three gorges area which had towering cliffs on both sides of the boat.

Activities: early morning ti chi ,several Chinese medical lectures, painting and off boat tour briefing added a lot to the trip.

We chose to visit an under ground never completed nuke facility "site 816" ,a food market where we were ( 20 or so Aussies westerners) the topic of conversation.The locals stopped their shopping/trading to look at us /interact...not many of our kind seen around these parts id say

We also were treated to a small boat cruise paddled , pulled & sang too by traditional Hubei boat people ( no longer naked- google it u will see)

Food: this is an area I traditionally struggle with.Breakfast my favourite time as I can partake of the things I like.Both western & Chinese fare was available & this theme continued into lunch.I was able to satisfy my particular pallet though dinner was a choice of two items per entrée/main/dessert and I struggled.

Whilst I don't drink alcohol my tour partners indicated the list was acceptable but not extensive.All has to be imported so while included wasn't free flowing.......

Now just be aware that that getting off the boat to get to shore excursions or disembarking is not for the faint hearted.At times 100 or so steps straight up with only embarkation having a lift.The poor guys carrying our cases 2 at a time on a pole across their shoulders was a sight.

The other issue was that we thought we would go through the 3 G Dam via a new ship elevator.Promotional information from our tour company indicated this but we started on the wrong side of the dam wall and headed up river.

All said it was another good & different river cruise our 6th in a row.

chris

MelbDemon's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Suite 413

We were upgrade so couldn't complain re cabin.

Was spacious..biggest cabin we have had on any cruise..in fact too much room.

We were berthed alongside another vessel and our room was equivalent to 3 of theirs.

Reasonable balcony and separate spacious bathroom.

Room was well appointed with large comfortable bed.

Previous Review