3. Magellan
I will never sail on this cruise line again. - I didn’t receive any of my boarding documents until one week prior to the cruise, and when I did the disembarkation time had changed from when I originally booked the cruise. This meant I had to buy all new tickets to fly home putting me out of pocket 1200 dollars. -As a non-British citizen you are treated as a second or third class citizen on board this cruise line. The other Americans, Canadians, and Chinese passengers I spoke with all felt similarly unwelcome onboard, We were very often dismissed, any questions or requests we had for reception or the excursions desk we were simply told we were wrong and no effort was made to alleviate any of the situations. Also all of the Americans I spoke to had requested to sit at tables with other guests on board in the hopes of interacting with some of the British or German passengers however the Americans were consistently sat together at the same table which defeated the purpose. - Of the 10 planned port calls, the ship only made six of them. The entire itinerary was reversed the day we got on board, so had I booked any tours outside of the ship I would have been completely out of pocket and had to cancel them as were many of the passengers. The only reason I chose this itinerary was to travel to Guernsey. Halfway through the cruise the ship announced we would no longer be pulling in there due to “weather“. However on the day we would have been scheduled to visit Guernsey we sailed past it and the water was like glass with very little wind. After chatting with several other passengers I learned this cruise line very rarely actually makes the port call in Guernsey, instead they cancel the port call, for some made up a reason, once the ship is already underway. There is a strong suspicion the cruise ship simply does not want to pay the port fees in Guernsey. I feel like this was absolutely a bait and switch and the ship had no intention of docking there. Since this was the entire reason I booked the cruise I feel like it was a total waste of money and time. - The ship asked me to surrender my passport to them for six days of the 12 day cruise . I’ve done more than 25 cruises and have never been asked that before. I was very uncomfortable with the concept of being in so many different countries throughout the week without having my passport on me, and given some of the logistical quirks on board I was also hesitant to give my passport to the staff manning reception. When I raised my concerns to the reception desk they were very combative and offered no solutions or even reasoning why I should turn my passport over to them. Instead my husband and I woke up every morning and waited for immigration officials to come to the ship where we met with them in person to have our passports stamped. In addition the staff told everyone they would receive their passports back in Honfleur, France, however no one received their passports for another three days, with no explanation as to where their passports were, or why they had not already been returned. - I was on this cruise as my honeymoon, and was very disappointed that no upgrades were available to US guests. I asked about upgrades again as I checked onto the ship and was told none were available, however as I spoke with other passengers on the ship I learned there were several empty rooms which were offered to British guests as upgrades. -According to the documentation left in my cabin my credit card was supposed to be charged the day before disembarkation and if I had cash to put towards my total, I simply needed to go to reception the night before Disembarkation and pay. However when I did this I was informed that my credit card had been charged two days prior and there was no way for me to pay any of my bill with the cash I had on hand. -While I understand this is a British cruise line, the food was not cohesive. Menus didn’t appear to have any rhyme or reason to them. We consistently found the meat to be overcooked, the eggs and fish to be severely under cooked, and all of the food to be unseasoned. There was not really a sit down breakfast option on the ship. If you went to the dining room for breakfast you had to get up and pick food off of a buffet just as you would have to at the upstairs buffet, and it was the exact same food as the upstairs buffet. Breakfast consisted of the same nine dishes every day for 12 days. -On the day of disembarkation we were told the ship would be docked at 1 o’clock and people would be allowed to leave to catch their flights. What we were not aware of is that we had to wait for customs officers to come on the ship in Amsterdam who had to meet face to face with every non-European citizen on board the ship prior to disembarking. Of course customs was late and no one made it off the ship prior to 1:30 that afternoon. We consistently found that this cruise line has no reputation with any of the port authority offices and as a result they are constantly at the bottom of the list of ships to be serviced. This was supposed to be a trip-of-a-lifetime honeymoon for us, and in the end all we were was disappointed. Let me make it very clear: you are paying for a taxi service to take you from port to port (if you’re lucky they’ll actually take you to all of the ports) and a place to sleep. You are certainly not paying for high-quality food, any entertainment, or quality service.

Never Again

Magellan Cruise Review by Asansiveri

I will never sail on this cruise line again.

Asansiveri’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

We had an inside cabin on the fourth deck and actually it was very nice well the ship itself is a little bit old it was refurbished and the room was very clean and had plenty of storage space for us. Unfortunately the shower flooded after two minutes but every other passenger I spoke to on the cruise had the same problem so it had nothing to do with the room.