• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pacific Eden Review

Editor Rating

Excellent Break, but a few complaints

Review for Pacific Eden to the South Pacific

Atrium
View from Cabin Window 6111
The Pantry
Pool area

While the cruise itself was very good there are a few things that I was disappointed about, the first being the smoking area.

Why do the cruise ships allow smokers to smoke on the promenade deck? The promenade deck is advertised as a place to walk around the deck to get some exercise, yet every time we attempted to go for a relaxing walk, we had to walk through the smoking area and the fumes followed us all the way down to the stern of the ship. Smokers should be put in a place where they do not effect anyone else except themselves, in fact I would think that these days the WHOLE ship should be smoke free. If that is not possible than they should be set aside somewhere down the back of the ship or up near the smoke stack away from where anyone else can be effected by the fumes or even given a room with an exhaust fan to get rid of the fumes. As a non-smoker and particularly an asthmatic I find the fumes offensive and can’t stand the smell. This was made worse when I witnessed a woman smoking outside our room, well outside the smoking are, and butting out the stub on the railing and then throwing the butt overboard.

The second problem was housekeeping on the last day. We were requested to vacate the room by 0830. So we scheduled our breakfast and morning activities around that time. We returned to our room at 0730 only to find that the bed had been made. While it’s good that housekeeping was on the ball, it has a tendency to create a potential problem. What if we need to use the bed, for a quick nap or something else. I don’t think that the next guest would have appreciated it and then if they had not changed the linen, the they would need to remake the bed anyway. I would have thought that it would be better to wait until after the scheduled vacate time of 0830. As soon as housekeeping saw that we had left our gear in the room, they should have moved on because it was obvious we were coming back. I am aware that there is a lot to do during the changeover of passengers, but that is the problem of the cruise line, NOT the passengers.

Cabin Ocean View

The cabin was of the standard layout that appears on most ships. Adequate room with good quality fixtures. The TV was an old CRT (pre LCD) type and the remote was well worn so we had some difficulty using the remote on occasion. The addition of a DVD player was a nice touch. The cabin itself was well situated just near the atrium. Far enough away from the public areas to be quiet, but close enough to an exit door to the promenade deck to allow a quick exit to see the view or go for a walk. I would recommend this cabin.

3 Helpful Votes