• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals
  • Excursions

AmaDolce Review

Editor Rating

Only one reason for average, food handling

Review for AmaDolce to Europe River
nurseanne1
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Apr 2018
Cabin: Stateroom with French Balcony

We were on a wine cruise. The ship is lovely, the staff fabulous. We enjoyed the cities and tours we took of wineries and sites. The cruise director Chris was very good. I generally enjoyed the food but after a few days the food started to taste the same. My last meal of a white fish and risotto was not very good at all. My biggest issue, food handling. I was surprised upon arrival on the ship to find platters of food available without staff present and passengers served themselves. They had many food stations similar to this at breakfast and lunch and I was really uncomfortable with this. Many people do not wash their hands and with everyone touching the utensils many times this can only lead to disaster, which it did for me. I had a terrible gastrointestinal illness as several other passengers did. I am careful to wash my hands many times but on a ship, illness is sometimes unavoidable. I am not an experienced cruiser except for a one time Mediterranean cruise on a smaller ship. On that particular cruise line, I recall that they did not have food available sitting out for self serve.

Also, unfortunately, our cabin was on the side of the ship that was parked next to another ship for 24 hours. We did not have a view or sunlight for that amount of time.

So bottom line, a very nice ship and staff but I would not travel with them again unless they improve some of the food handling procedures and find out if blocking out my rooms view by another ship would be avoidable. I realize that is no guarantee but it would be an improvement I am sure.

Stateroom with French Balcony

Cabin A

Good location. Good amount of room for storage.

Find an AmaDolce Cruise from $2,549