3. Pacific Eden
My wife booked this cruise as a surprise for my 60th birthday. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the time with my family and friends, but this ship is really showing it's age. The embarkation process was reasonably smooth and once they started boarding, we were on the ship quite quickly. Where as the disembarkation process was very poorly managed, with large numbers of passengers standing in the areas on deck 3 outside the lifts, preventing some passengers from exiting the lifts. the other problem was that the ramp to exit the ship was quite steep, further slowing down the process. I could not fault the public areas on the ship, as that part of the ship looks quite modern, with lots of choices for sitting. The Pantry on deck 11 has quite a limited selection of food choices. If you want a burger or slice of pizza that is an additional cost, as well as ice cream and coffee, which i found the pricing equal to some cafes in Sydney. We had dinners in the Waterfront Restaurant, where the service was quite slow and on the first night our waiter came to our table 3 times to take our orders after being interrupted by another impatient passenger behind us. The cabin, an inside cabin towards the rear on deck 6, was what we had expected after many sailings on Holland America ships. Unfortunately nothing had been done to the cabin since being moved to P&O Australia. on the Sunday, my wife had to have a cold shower after the hot water stopped unexpectedly, with no notification by staff. The hot water problem was on the whole ship and we were not made aware of this until after numerous phone calls to reception. Hot water was finally available on Sunday evening. Entertainment was excellent in the theatre and an adults only comedy act was provided late on Sunday night. For first time cruisers this sort of cruise would be ideal and a good introduction to cruising. But for those that have cruised many times, like us, go and find somewhere nice to stay for the weekend.

Surprise Birthday Celebration