3. Celebrity Solstice
We wanted to see the NZ sounds and also to try the Solstice - so this cruise seemed a good pick. Previously cruised on the Century and multiple RCI. Stayed in Fremantle a few days before the cruise, where we had a great time. Lots of nice bars/restaurants , good music scene. Come embarkation day we were let down by the chaotic boarding process - disorganised and rude staff, long queues and more queues - nowhere to sit, in a hanger/shed like, dated terminal. Has put me off traveling from Freo ever again..... The ship:the Solstice is nicely presented and modern. Still they try to upsell everything for $$ and boring over priced art sales are still going strong. Alcoholic drinks are very expensive ($US14 glass of wine) so we availed ourselves of the Elite Lounge happy hour each evening and went without a beverage in the day - which suited us just fine. Our inside cabin was spacious, for an inside, and kept immaculate by our cabin attendant. At 2k pp for 16 nights not too bad price wise. Happy with the standard of cleaning that was always evident, everywhere around the ship. Nice decor and lovely seating areas to find a quiet spot to contemplate life. The food was the let down - not up to RCI standard imo. Buffett food in the Ocean view Cafe varied a lot. We had some undercooked/overcooked/stale/some good. Pick your own stir fry was brilliant one day - next day with a different server was horrible. The quality depended on the day and who served us. Inconsistent. The Grand Epernay restaurant was better at lunch time. Nice service and food. Evening service in the Grand Epernay was not very good, the waiters seemed over burdened and rushed. Our waiter disappeared just before dessert on every occasion leaving the assistant to fend on his own. I had cutlery and water dropped on me on several occasions and once elbowed in the head by the waiter...gave it a miss after that. Aqua spa cafe I would not recommend at all- healthy maybe – limited choice and not in the least yummy. Mast grill - not to labour the point but this was utterly awful. First time I've ever encountered blatantly rude service staff, inedible turkey burger. I walked away never to return! Elite lounge served hors d'oeuvres on platters that were taken around each and every guest –& put right under their noses -needless to say didn't fancy any of that germ fest.......Enough of the food... We went to several shows and enjoyed the headline singers and comedians - but not the in house singers and dancers - boring and low quality. Loved the ports of Adelaide, Melbourne(recommend the free tram, Southbank and Arts centre),Dunedin,Wellington,Picton. Always do our own thing as the on board tours are not our bag and very very expensive. Unfortunately never got to see a nary one of the sounds,as a guest became ill with Pneumonia and Captain decided we had to sail back to Melbourne! Lost 6 hours and the sounds went as well. Sad about that but couldn't be helped. Overall I would only do a Solstice cruise again if the price was right – like a late deal or the like.

Hit & Miss

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Bethbiz

Bethbiz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Inside Stateroom
Spacious cabin for an inside. Good cabin attendant. Nice shower.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins