3. Star Pride
This was our first small ship cruise, and we enjoyed it. The onboard experience was excellent. However, I’m not sure I would book another cruise on Windstar, due to the multiple frustrations of dealing with their business unit. The cruise itself was great. We loved the spacious cabin, with the biggest bathroom we’ve ever had on a cruise ship — double sinks even! The walk-in closet was great for keeping things organized. We didn’t miss having a balcony as much as I’d expected. The toiletries were lovely L’Occitane products. We did learn to shower at less popular times if we wanted hot water. I especially appreciated the unlimited laundry package. For a very reasonable $10 per day per cabin, we were able to reuse clothes as often as we wanted, and to arrive home with a suitcase full of clean clothes, not nasty smelly ones. The only thing we didn’t like about the Star Pride were the low ceilings. My 6’3” hubby banged his head on several doorways and stairwells. He couldn’t use the treadmill in the gym because he hit his head on the ceiling with every stride. Advice to Windstar newbies: have seasickness meds available, and use them proactively! We have taken numerous ocean cruises with never a bit of discomfort, but we failed to anticipate how different a small ship would feel. The first day, a sea day, was very rough. As soon as I woke up, I felt ill. I could not even sit up in bed without vomiting. Hubby was also affected, but luckily not so badly. He was able to make it to Reception and get meds. We both had to lie in bed until afternoon, missing breakfast and lunch, but were able to enjoy dinner. After that, we took meds in advance of every sailing. The last day was still a little nauseating, but otherwise we had no further trouble. The staff were excellent. They knew everybody’s name by day 2! Also your cabin number, your favorite drinks and sides, your hometown, and so much more. We have never had better food on a cruise ship. The deck BBQ was one of the highest quality buffets we’ve ever enjoyed. We appreciated the small, unusual ports. Our favorite was the rustic and charming Les Saintes, Guadeloupe. We also especially enjoyed Anse Mitan (with the help of a private guide), and Falmouth, Antigua. One of the most impressive service incidents was when we were delayed from docking back in San Juan at the end of the cruise. We were supposed to dock at 7:00 AM, but even though the Coast Guard cleared us to dock, the harbor pilot refused to work in rough seas. We sailed back and forth outside the harbor for hours, until Windstar finally found another pilot who got us to the dock at 1:30 PM. Amazingly, the crew managed to serve a last-minute, unscheduled lunch. We’re not talking a tray of sandwiches! It was a full, normal hot lunch with cooking stations, and including complimentary beverage service. Kudos to the chef, kitchen staff, and serving staff for pulling off that feat! So the cruise was great. However, virtually every interaction we had with Windstar the company was a hassle. Here are just a few of the worst issues: 1. They overcharged us at final payment. The invoice they sent us showed a payment due of NEGATIVE $845. Even though their own invoice showed the error, it took two weeks to get a refund. 2. We were supposed to have an onboard credit of $500. It never showed up. Our travel agent contacted Windstar, and reported that they saw where it dropped off and were “seeing what they could do”. Every time we asked for an update, we got the same answer. I tried to contact Windstar, but they said they could not discuss it with me, only my agent. Five weeks later: still no answer, no $500. 3. The price of our cruise dropped $600 per person at the last minute. Since we booked under the old Price Assurance policy, we were eligible for an adjustment. Windstar denied us the adjustment. I asked our agent to remind them that we booked under the old policy, but she never followed up. Another couple on our cruise, who also booked under the old policy, received this adjustment. Our agent was negligent in following up, but that wouldn’t have mattered if Windstar had done the right thing, as they did for other passengers. I could give numerous other examples of Windstar HQ messing up our booking and excursions. Virtually every interaction we had with them was frustrating. So, even though we enjoyed the actual cruise, I would be very hesitant to book another Windstar cruise. I cannot recommend the company due to the hassle factor, even though we enjoyed the actual cruise.

Good cruise on a bad cruiseline

Star Pride Cruise Review by CoralReef