Low priced cruising 'English style' small ship. Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. Instead of the usual gorgeous balcony cabin on a 5 or 6 star ship it was a totally budgeted choice. I can tell you the food on this ship is 6 star and so beautifully presented in their version of a grand dining room that I can't make one single criticism. It was superb in every way from the white linen tablecloths to the service from the sommelier / drinks waiter to the absolutely beautifully presented food which was always tasty and delicious. The drinks package which I decided to purchase allowed for easy ordering of cocktails, wine and so on and the drinks again were always beautifully presented and tasty. I found the house wines to be quite palatable and I highly recommend the cocktails, especially the pina coladas! Breakfast could be taken as casual affair in the buffet and again was always delicious. If you are after a multitude of activities the ship is not for you. Its a scaled down basic style of cruising but there is still entertainment on the decks on fine sea days and the evening cabaret style entertainment is a feature of most evenings - lots of song and dance whilst you sip on an after dinner beverage. The entertainment lounge is not tiered so sometimes you need to find just the right seat to see in between others heads. Shopping on board is minimal but adequate with a couple of small shops selling candies and chocolates, handbags, clothing and so on and the walkways were never filled with tables of bargain like I have experienced on other ships. There is no casino on board. There are photographers wandering around at dinner for example and you have the opportunity to order photos if you wish but there is no pressure to do so. The swimming pool outdoors is not heated and is adequate. I only saw two people swim in it the entire journey and it was February in Australia. The lifts are small. I like the way sofas are placed nearby to the lifts on various levels so people can sit and wait - I have wished for this on other ships but never seen it before. Embarkation was smooth and friendly. Disembarkation was lengthy - you are required to exit the room by 7am. We did not get off the boat until about 10am. It was a long wait and a long breakfast but survivable as we were quite comfortable. Would I do it again? YES

Cruising on a budget but eating in style!

Astor Cruise Review by trippingtraveller

Low priced cruising 'English style' small ship.

There is no casino on board.

Would I do it again? YES
trippingtraveller’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Astor price drops

For the lowest priced cabin on the ship the inside cabin was absolutely fine. There was plenty of storage space and more than on some 6 star ships on which I have sailed. The bathroom worked fine and was functional and clean. The toiletries were basic but usable and the pump pack of shampoo was fine too. The twin beds are cute and cosy but for my liking quite hard and my bones suffered the entire journey to the point I was longing to get back into my comfortable bed at home. The cabin was kept immaculately clean at all times. Being in a low and relatively midship position I was thankful during the sail through some of rolling seas. We were also very close to the lifts which made getting around the ship easier.