3. Seven Seas Explorer
We are long time Regent customers but had not sailed with Regent for two years account a previous problem. In the interim, we sailed with luxury lines, Crystal, Seabourn and Oceania. We chose the transatlantic crossing to try the new (for us) Explorer and because of the price. We also love going to Bermuda. We had an overnight in Bermuda where I chose to wear formal Bermuda attire, of coat, tie, Bermuda shorts and folded over knee socks (picture attached) I was asked to leave the bar as I had shorts on. Next, I experienced the only poor service, rude employee, of the cruise, the reception desk manager. I explained that we were docked in one of the most formal British protectorates in the world and that my attire was local custom, and requested to be allowed to wear formal Bermuda attire in Bermuda. The correct answer for the location was to check with the hotel manager or else make a simple apology. Instead I was given a lecture about local customs and how bad it could be in Papua, New Guinea (loin cloth). Steam was rising from my ears. With my bad experience highlighted I will say that the ship lives up to its billing of the most luxurious ship ever built. There is marble granite and exquisite light fixtures - EVERYWHERE. The overall decor of the ship is no less than 10 out of 10. Words and pictures can't describe it adequately. When I went into a private stall in the restroom I was in an eight foot by four foot marble box. Simply amazing. Service was generally excellent in all dining venues and bars. The ship was not completely full and extra visits to the specialty restaurants were available, especially if you were willing to share a table or eat late. Food in the main dining room, The Compass Rose was excellent. Of all the restaurants we rated Prime 7 as number 1. We did not enjoy Pacific Rim, but we are not Asian food fans so please consider this review neutral there. Overall passengers on the Explorer dressed better than other lines, a plus for us. 80% of men wore jackets at night and half of those wore ties. Our room was a Penthouse which we enjoyed (see below). We enjoy butler service on cruises and have learned to make use of them. Unfortunately, we did not get the best one as service could be slow or forgotten. We spoke with other passengers who had no problems so I must assume that we just drew the wrong one. We went on two shore excursions which were excellent and included. We missed the final port due to engaging in a man overboard search and rescue for a passenger from another ship who had fallen or jumped overboard. So, with all of the great that that can be said about this cruise why only 2 stars? Beyond the bad experience in Bermuda we can say that it boils down to value and inflexibility. Value - we have seen Regent take price increases each year. We chose this trip due to its lower cost and included business class return air from Spain. Backing out, my estimated value for the cruise, we paid just over $500 per day per person for the cruise. Good deal, but a quick check of category Penthouse B cabins this summer will reveal prices that can approach $1500 per day (which include business air). Over the past few year Regent strives to make more and more included. Shore excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants, and just starting - free laundry. To get the full value for all of this you need to take advantage, and most of us don't. And then there is another phenomenon that seems to be more prevalent on Regent than on other top lines. My wife and I call it "forced shopping". On this cruise we had a combined total of $1,100 (USD) shipboard credit. The credit came from American Express, the ship and the travel agent. Regent is"all inclusive" and Since we are not big spa people, and don't partake in top shelf spirits or wine, we have to spend it (or lose it) in the shops. We ended up purchasing lots of stuff we never would have elsewhere. And the shops aren't cheap. Up until about 2010, you were able to visit the future cruise consultant and roll the shipboard credit into a future cruise. That ended and we became free agents in the luxury market. Finally, inflexibility. The shorts incident aside (a perfect example) we found that the staff works from a very regimented script or playbook. One day we told our (excellent) waitress that we were praying for calm seas. She lets us know she was praying for a calm boss. On the last full day, we completely packed early in the morning and stashed the bags under the bed. The cabin steward pulled out the completely full bags and put them on the bed, because - that was what the script called for. In fairness this may be Regent's way of managing service but we found it to be a little stiff. We will be back on Regent but it will likely take 2 years or more.

Don't wear your kilt in Scotland

Seven Seas Explorer Cruise Review by PM1225

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

We will be back on Regent but it will likely take 2 years or more.
PM1225’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Explorer price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin B 859
I give the cabin 4 stars because it needs to be one foot wider. The sofa was narrow for someone 6-2.

The two room layout is great as you can close off the bedroom. The closet is a bit small but adequate. The closet had a 2-tier shoe rack that was just a simple shelf allowing shoes on top and under. Other lines should take note of this simple but effective detail.

The bathroom was excellent with the best shower (7 total heads spraying at you) at sea. The WC was a separate room.

The living room would have been enhanced by the addition of a table lamp as opposed to wall mounted lighting.

Our cabin had a very wide balcony. It was great but the downside is that the room was dark as the inside door was way back from the overhang of the deck above. But - you can't have it both ways.
Deck 10 Suite Cabins