Marella Spirit Cruise Review

Really disappointing cruise

Marella Spirit Cruise Review by Evle90

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

This was our first time on Marella Spirit. We have previously been on her sister ship the Celebration which was a little better.

The crew on the Spirit were amazing. So friendly and helpful. You could not fault them. The ports of call were also very good. However these were really the only positives.

The food was so disappointing. We are used to high quality food on a cruise but what we got was far from it. I would call it 3 star standard. The thing I looked forward to most was pizza and chips on the lido through the day. Usually I really look forwards to main meals in the restaurant. Not on this cruise. We ate at Scirocco restaurant twice which was £20pp extra. The food here was far superior. However we would expect this standard on a cruise without having to pay for it.

We had lots of plumbing issues with toilets both in and outside the cabin. Not impressed having to search for 20 minutes for a working toilet and then having to queue for ages to use it.

Tui often overcharged for transfers from port and didn’t tell you the other options. For example in Ibiza they charged £7pp return for the transfer and said it was a 50 minute walk if you didn’t use it. We decided to walk. It was only 30 minutes and we strolled! There was also a port bus that left and dropped off at the same place for £5pp and a water taxi that went to the middle of the town just round the corner for £4pp return. No mention by Tui of any of these.

The ship itself is old and in my opinion they should have retired her last year. The vibrations were constant, even when in port! She didn’t handle the sea well at all and it was constantly rocky even when the wind speed outside was classed as a light breeze by the captain. I’ve never suffered much with sea sickness apart from a bad bay of biscay crossing but I at some point every evening I was worried about the sickness. Thank goodness for sea sickness bands!

It has really put us off cruising. It used to be my favourite type of holiday but now my husband is refusing to do another because he constantly felt sick (never on other ships) and the food was so poor. Not a ship for us. We definitely won’t be back on another Marella/ Tui ship on the future.

Evle90's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Outside deck 4 313

Twin room that could be turned into a double. Small port hole. Not worth having. Only reason I paid extra was because I wanted a higher deck as have been on deck 2 before and engine noise was very loud. Still lots of vibrations in the cabin and noisy but not as bad as the lower floors. Bathroom big for a ship but very old and tired. Shower felt like I was on a leisure centre. Always made up nicely.

Evle90