3. Norwegian Getaway
Everything about cruising is very subjective. Depending on your expectations, your experience may very greatly from mine, so this is just an opinion. To give you background this was my 2nd NCl cruise, the first being on the Jade. I have also cruise once on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Victory. I travelled with a party of 14 family members ranging in age from 8-60ish. We were naturally split into 2 groups of 7 as on half was my family and one half my spouse's family. So most of my review is based on my side of things, though we all got together for dinners and some tours. Embarkation was fairly easy for us. We arrived around 10-10:30 and were given boarding group 3. We boarded around 11:30 but the wait did not seem too long as everyone was excited. We had an average meal in one of the main dining rooms but by the time we were finished our rooms were ready. This was my first inside cabin. I have had balconies, and an extra large oceanview, but I actually didn't mind the inside. Aside from rarely knowing when the ship was moving, what time of day it was etc, it was fine. And sooo quiet if you don't count the somewhat annoying Bingo announcements. I worried because we were right near a crew service room of some sort but never had noise from it. My room attendant Carlo was always around. I saw him many times a day and he saved me twice when my door shut while talking to some kids in the cabin next to me. The location worked well for us to on deck 12 slightly forward. A couple decks up to the pool or buffet and down a few for food. We like the walking. In reading other reviews I was really worried about the smoke. I am super sensitive to smoke, and cannot handle being around it for long without my eyes itching/swelling and my nose burning. It really wasn't too bad. Maybe because this was a spring break cruise and there were lots of families less smokers. It was obvious when you had to walk through the casino to get somewhere, or on some of the waterfront, but at least for my sailing it was easy to avoid. The Atrium is as most of the reviews have said, poorly designed and over crowded. It is almost impossible to hear the guest service employees and really I suppose its no wonder they are less than cheerful when they are probably losing their hearing and dealing with blaring headaches. And I almost got in an argument with another cruiser over a silly chair to watch a show. ( I am super non confrontational so that's saying something). Million Dollar Quartet was very good. My brother in law's Mother in law who it was hard to tell most of the time if she was enjoying herself, was clapping, tapping her feet and cheering. She loved it. I am not a huge music fan, and I found it fun to watch anyway. Burn the Floor for me was a little boring. The Dancing was very good, but there is no storyline, just dancing over and over. and I like dancing it just was repetitive. I wish they had a show like the Elements from Jade. That one was awesome. The comics were good, but we saw the main combo show and then caught another show in headliners and the comic performing repeated the same jokes. Like exact same delivery and lines etc. Bit of a bummer and we actually got up and left which I almost never do, cause I think it is a tad rude. My husband and a couple other people regretted not having a magician. I don't like magic so I didn't care but heard the comment a few times. We had a 4 dining package as part of our group booking, and so we ate at Cagney, Teppanyaki, Moderno and Le Bistro. I liked the service the best in Le Bistro, and the best brulee of the ones I tried on the ship. It was the only time each table of 7 got their food at once. I thought the food was pretty good in all of the specialty restaurants. My 14 year old nephew really loved the meat at Moderno that was his favorite. Teppanyaki was the most entertaining for the kids, and the only one that kept the 2 youngest from getting bored. It was super salty though. The dining took way too long. 2 hours for a meal no matter where you went (except the buffet). We missed 2 of our reservations even though we had the earliest dining time, and let our waiters know. We regularly ran out of water, even in the specialty restaurants, and only once or twice had waitstaff that smiled or seemed friendly. No one was rude, just indifferent. It wasn't blatant or enough to put me off the cruiseline, just not what I was used to from any other cruise I have been on. The buffet is designed in a U shape so it is pretty easy to find food. If there is a line at one spot move around to another, it is the same on each side. I never had long lines there but the food is very repetitive for breakfast which is when we ate there. Other ships had some variety but it was exactly the same each day. Osheehans was the worst. We wanted to try them so picked a lunchtime slightly off the average but still had a long wait and the wait to get our actual food was really comically ridiculous. We should have got up and left but we had ordered and didn't want to waste. And it was very loud being near the atrium. Our fault I had read the reviews and should have known better. Hmm.. what else? The ropes course is fun, just be prepared to wait. There are only so many harnesses and it really is the cool thing to try. Never did get a chance to do the rock climbing wall. Now that I think about it, I never saw anyone do it. I wonder if it was actually open? The staff at the ropes course was friendly and comical when they made me think I weighed way more than I actually did. The slides were fun and the lines weren't too bad for those. My husband did the drop slides a few times and rarely had to wait. Lots of people would go up to do it but were wearing a bracelet or watch etc and had to go back down. The pool was always crowded during the day. And as everyone has mentioned people are chair hogs. I saw people saving chairs starting at 6 in the morning. No joke. We were always able to find a few chairs but never in shade and never close to the pool area. No real quiet areas on the ship either. Music of some sort is played almost everywhere. No one in our group drinks at all so poor Norwegian lost out. ha ha, I am sure they didn't notice. I bought one virgin Miami vice in headliners and it was pretty good. There were lines at pool bars but never made an attempt to get anything so no advice there. In Roatan we used Rony's Tours and it worked for us. We went to west bay Beach and unless you want the city tour, tell them to take the shorter route. Also be advised that they did not reserve space for us at Infinity Bay. I didn't know that was up to us to do and when we arrived they said they had no room. We found somewhere else but that could have turned into a problem. The other half of our group also used them and their van broke down, but Rony quickly got a replacement van and them made it back to the ship in time. Harvest Caye was a surprise. So many people complain about the rough sand and the over crowding and how they got bored but we were all pleasantly surprised. We got off about a half hour after the allowed and found chairs in shade right away. The sand isn't powder fine but it isn't really rough either. The water isn't crystal clear either but it is warm and clean when we were there. Probably depends on if it has rained a lot recently. The pool does get crowded but it wasn't as bad as the ship pool. I liked just having a day to relax a little. Costa Maya our whole group did the Chaccoban Extreme Tour with Native Choice. Our guide was very well educated, spoke 4 languages and just was smart and fun. The ruins are cool but small compared to some. Bacalar Lagoon though is gorgeous. The service was excellent, with lots of included virgin pina coladas and sodas. They could use a few more kayaks for the number of people there, but it wasn't crowded and the shades of blue are awesome. Cozumel was my biggest surprise. I have been twice before and wasn't really looking forward to it. Its just a busy city or so I thought. But head to the other side of the island and you will find some beautiful beaches. We used Black Hat Tours and just loved Crescencio, the owner. He is like a young Grandpa and just stayed with us the whole day. If ever I go to Cozumel again I will try to get him as my tour guide. Hmmm.. what other tips or comments? I enjoyed my cruise, and will cruise again. I think I would like to try a cruise with quieter deck and atrium locations. And maybe slightly better food. I would like to try Celebrity or Princess but think they might spoil me for the future.

Family Getaway mostly good 4-1 to 4-8

Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Inside Stateroom
Cabin I1 12479
I am not sure my category is right, the room was overall better than expected. lots of storage, and the bathroom was bigger than I expected. We only had two to our room so the overhead beds stuck out from the wall and got annoying over time. Plus the ladders and bedding are stored under the bed and took up a bit of the under bed room. Only a problem for me as I am an overpacker with big luggage. If you are only travelling with two maybe book a room that only has the two lower beds. Carlo was great. It is time for a little update to the carpets as they were pretty matted down and clearly well used, but clean.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins