• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Oasis of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
51 Awards

Great ship, felt nickled and dimed

Review for Oasis of the Seas to the Western Caribbean
mrobrien
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Apr 2018
Cabin: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Traveled with children

My wife, son, and I took the Oasis of the Seas in April of 2018. It was an awe-inspiring ship with endless activities for all ages. The staff were great, the food was excellent, etc.

However, this is not an inexpensive cruise by any measure and we felt nickled and dimed. For instance, of the 10 places where you can get snacks, 6 require you to pay. You want popcorn? That's $2.50. You want cotton candy on the Boardwalk? That will cost you too. I'm not making this up! Three people can easily spend $6,000 for the week, and Royal Caribbean wants $2.50 for a small box of popcorn? They have monetized every corner and I felt weird asking, "Is this included, or is this an extra charge?" I found out that one of the snack stands was free but I didn't use it all week because I thought it was another area where they charged.

If this were my first cruise, I may just think of this as normal. But my wife and I started cruising when a cruise was 98% all-inclusive (except for alcohol and maybe 1-2 specialty restaurants). Maybe in 5 years, they will be charging to use the rock-climbing wall or to use the pool.

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin D7

Seemed smaller than other shops but the balcony was definitely larger which was nice.

At night there were two odd sounds. One sounded like someone was scratching the wall with their fingernails and the other was s clanking noise. We realized the clanking was the glass partition separating the balconies. Jamming some folded toilet paper in the right place seemed to fix this.

Port Reviews

Labadee

They wanted $20 per person for one hour in their floating water park area. Yet another thing that made me feel like they viewed me as a walking ATM machine.

Find an Oasis of the Seas Cruise from $299