3. Norwegian Jewel
We chose this cruise because of the itinerary and all the new ports of call. We booked the 40 day from Sydney Australia to Tokyo Japan. We were in a suite 10500 which was at the front of the ship and we loved the position and balcony. Our butler and cabin steward were friendly and helpful. Thank goodness we had the suite I am not sure I could have survived 40 days in any other type of cabin. We spent a lot of time in the suite. For many of the ports the ship anchored a long way off shore, resulting in long tenders, or it stopped in industrial ports that required expensive taxis into the closest town or paying the cruise line for a shuttle bus into town. The day after we left Sydney, bars were running out of certain types of wines and beers!! Really one day into a 40 day cruise. We were told that the ship was expecting to be restocked in Sydney but the container had not arrived. The one thing that really was annoying was that you could only get certain things at certain restaurants. For example something as simple as good mint tea was only available at Moderno and none of the other specialty restaurants, no attempt was made to get something for even, one night I couldn't even get a baked potato in the specialty french restaurant because "it is only served in the main dining room" I remember the days servers would have gone to the main dining room to get it. Although sometimes the server would get something for me they were few and far between. Menus were the same every day for 40 days in the specialty restaurants and at the Suites breakfast and lunch venue in the Moderno. Certain wines were available only in a few of the bars, even though they were listed on all bar menus. There was no attempt to get the one you wanted. Servers were bringing other drinks because they had ran out, they would not come back and ask what else you wanted just bring whatever and leave. I can not tell you how many drinks I sent back because they had ran out of what I ordered and brought me whatever they could lay hands on. I went back to the bar tender one time and asked him what he had given me, he said he didn't know! Food in the two main dining rooms was ok and to be honest did not see much difference between specialty dining food, the only difference was the smaller dining venues, although in Cagneys there were so many people crammed in there it was difficult to have a conversation. Gone are the nice quiet romantic dinner venues. Most of the shows were pretty bad particularly the comedians, the Cirque was fantastic as was a Japanese juggler/magician and the ballroom style dance group apart from that nothing we saw was outstanding and like many others we walked out of several shows. I have taken 15 cruises with NCL before the last one a 30 day two years ago and I can not believe how many things have changed, trimmed down to the bone with unhappy and overworked staff. Sad to say my last cruise on NCL

What has happened to the Norwegian Cruise Line?

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by lindaanddavid

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse with Large Balcony

lindaanddavid’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Penthouse with Large Balcony
Cabin SE 10500
Cabin was a nice size although the bathroom was very small compared to other suites we have been in. The deck is a nice size and got both sun and shade because it is located right below the bridge. Location is very quiet since the suite was at the front of the ship we shared the hallway with only the other 3 suites. Bed was comfortable and coffee/tea was always kept stocked. Treats were brought every day to our suite which was nice.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Zhujiajiao Watertown
    This was a lovely little town, a mini venice with canals and gonola type boats. Lovely to walk through the narrow streets and visit the locals.
    View All 10 Zhujiajiao Watertown Reviews