3. Celebrity Xperience
We escorted a group aboard Celebrity XPerience on the 10 day itinerary. The journey started with 2 days at the JW Marriott in Quito. Great hotel, with great service. It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport to the hotel. We stayed there again on our last night and thought it may have been more convenient to stay at the Wyndham near the airport. I'm sure it's not of the same quality, but between the drive and check in for our 8:30am flight, we had to leave the hotel at 5am. Surprisingly the JW Marriott didn’t have turn down service. But everybody was very helpful. We were given roses on several occasions and they were beautiful with an amazing fragrance. The water is not drinkable so we were given bottled complementary water with every meal. We ate at The Hacienda, a very nice Steak Restaurant. Celebrity has a staffed desk in the hotel, as does Silversea. The Celebrity staff provided us with BPA free plastic bottles to refill with water, to reduce plastic waste. Since we were there during Holy Week, we were told that our tour on (Good) Friday would be changed. Instead of going to the Colonial Quarter, we would go to the Botanical Gardens. The Colonial Quarter was closed for Easter processions. So we went on our own, the day we arrived, to explore the area. On Friday we took the tour with the Celebrity guides, visiting the volcanoes, Botanical garden, the “Winged Virgin Mary”, protector of the city, the Equator and other sites. On Saturday it was finally time to go to the Galapagos. We flew on Avianca to Guayaquil and had a short stop over there. The flight was uneventful, but the flight attendants were among the nastiest we have ever experienced. Can’t say I would fly them again. The return flight was not much better. Finally it was time to board the 48 passenger Celebrity XPerience. To be honest, all of us were disappointed in the condition of the ship. It is pretty “tired”. When I planned the cruise, I went by the assumption that Celebrity had refurbished the ship. If they did, I couldn’t tell. The pictures on the website are definitely “enhanced”. The staff, however, is amazing and did their ultimate to please everybody. The cabins are very clean and “functional”. For ecological reasons we were asked not to flush toilet paper. The shower curtain, was an irritant to us. Although the food was very good, all meals are served buffet style, which was another disappointment. We had 2 Vegetarians and one person on a Gluten Free diet and they were very happy with their choice of meals. Every night we were presented with the next day's itinerary n the Lounge. It was then posted on the TV. After dinner they showed movies about the Galapagos. Since most of us were tired then, I suggested maybe showing the movies in loop. I don't know if they will. While talking to some of the staff I found out that this ship will be “retired” soon. That was not a big surprise. Once the new ship, Flora, comes on line accommodating 98 guests, the now 98 passenger XPedition will be totally redone to accommodate 48 passengers on a double occupancy basis, or 64 maximum. It should be very spacious. At that time XPerience and XPloration will be retired. Overall, we had a fabulous time. Everybody enjoyed the cruise and exploring the Galápagos Islands . It is a very active vacation, so be ready for that. As I said before, the staff, including the Naturalists made the cruise totally enjoyable and a big success.

Amazing Crew - Tired Ship

travelerchris’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Xperience price drops

Elite Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin XE 404
The cabin was smallish but very clean. The bed was very comfortable. There was a TV, but it only had 3 channels. One for the daily schedule and 2 for movies. So don't count on watching the news. No Wifi in the cabin, only in the Lounge and dining area. It was very slow, so unplug.
Boat Deck Outside Cabins