3. MSC Sinfonia
I chose this cruise because I needed a break and because of the itinerary. On the whole the cruise was really good and I would recommend it if you are a family with children, couple, friendship group, or are looking for a 'booze/party' cruise. First of all the staff were flawless, nothing was too much trouble and all the crew I came into contact with were friendly, helpful and just a pleasure to engage with. For me embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. The ship was lovely, clean and well maintained with good facilities. My cabin (8129) was perfect for my needs, my only minor gripe was that I found a item of women's clothing under the bed from a previous passenger and an old ships programme (from October 2017) in a drawer. But apart from that the cabin was good. The food on board was good. I did the 'behind the scenes' tour and met the executive chef and got to appreciate what goes into food preparation on board and how challenging this can be. I was a solo gay passenger and I felt that all of the entertainment was geared up for heterosexual couples and families with children and there was nothing really aimed at those who were travelling on their own or gay. I think that some sort of meet and greet for solo passengers may have been a good idea. Despite notifications being placed in the ships programme about the evening entertainment in the theatre being aimed at adults only there were lots of young children present. The theatre in the evenings was overcrowded and this was made more frustrating as people saved chairs for others, despite being instructed not to do so. The formal evening was a bit of a 'damp squid' (why bother having it) as there was some confusion on its advertising in the ships programme (dress for the evening indicated with formal logo with the words 'informal' written) so a small number of us dressed formally for the evening. Our itinerary was changed when we boarded and we spent two days anchored off Portuguese Island which left me feeling disappointed as I had looked forward to seeing Pomene. I felt that two days at PI was overkill if you're not into beaches and beach activities. Whilst there the services, entertainment and activities were moved to the island and very little happening on board for those who decided not to go ashore. For example, all the shops were closed during these days. Another minor gripe was the Baroque coffee shop only opening at 4pm which I think was very restrictive for those of us who enjoy a good cup of coffee during the day (although you could get coffee in the buffet during the course of the day). I've noticed that the cruises from Durban (I've done 3) are very much aimed at families and children. With the focus on parties and alcohol (I'm not judging), because this is not what I look for in a cruise I do not think I will do another cruise from Durban. However, I would cruise with MSC again in the Med or Caribbean

A good break away

MSC Sinfonia Cruise Review by Stephen Laverack

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Africa
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Oceanview Stateroom
I chose this cruise because I needed a break and because of the itinerary.

Stephen Laverack’s Full Rating Summary