3. Volendam
The Volendam had recently refurbished their bathrooms and public areas but unfortunately did not refurbish their cabins which were very tired indeed. Great storage though in Cabin. The ship was continually cold onboard and we were given a variety of reasons why the air conditioning continued to blast out cold air yet I have seen other reviews about HAL complaining about the cold onboard their ships. Many passengers continually wore coats throughout the ship, some even had blankets with them in the dining room. Two of our companions left the ship with chest infections. Entertainment day and evening was very poor with very few activities to choose from. At age 60 plus I felt like youngster on board with the averse age of guest being about 80 years old. For whatever reason the ship was deserted at 10 pm every evening! Staff were generally very helpful except when we complained about the cold. They continually repeated that they take all complaints seriously but couldn’t explain why the air conditioning was always blowing out very cold air. If I were to speculate why I would suggest they are trying to ensure germs cannot breed. They should have followed this up though with staff encouraging passengers to wash their hands as they entered the dining areas as I have experienced with other shipping lines. The hands cleansing machines were at every entrance but unfortunately not all passengers used them. I will definitely never sail with HAL again!

Very cold everywhere in ship

Volendam Cruise Review by Drumlinboytwo

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Drumlinboytwo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin H
Adequate size desperately in need of refurbishing. Bathroom lovely as it had just been refurbished.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins