3. Carnival Sunshine
My husband and I chose this cruise because the advertising on the ship (Carnival Dream in Jan of this year) convinced me that it was going to be a great experience because it had been refurbished in the last 6 years. From what I experienced, it is definitely time for another refurbishment. From the moment we boarded the Sunshine, the sewer smell was ridiculously strong and there was no getting away from it. It wasn't just a smell that we noticed at the port, but it lasted throughout the cruise. As we walked around the ship, we noticed that the ship was slowly falling apart. What we didn't realize is that the Sunshine was previously the Destiny (which we also sailed on in 1999) and to be honest, it looked as if none of the seating, carpeting, or light fixtures were added in the refurbishing budget because the light fixtures in the Lido buffet area were broken and the seating was badly torn. The carpet was also ripped throughout the ship. The walkways on the Lido were narrow in trying to accommodate the addition of Guys burgers, and the Blue Iguana. I enjoyed both additions, but the layout was extremely narrow and regularly congested, and the deck was always saturated with water. We were told that the Sunshine was scheduled for another remodel, but I've seen no evidence to support this claim. Maybe they were blowing smoke or perhaps not, but time will tell because we are planning another cruise on the Sunshine in January to see if Carnival will stand by their word. If not, we will gladly return to Holland.

Completely Disappointing Birthday Cruise

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by tmabrams71

tmabrams71’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Interior
Cabin 4B 2142
The cabin was average with the exception of the poor AC quality and the overflowing sewer water that came through the floor vent in the bathroom causing a disgusting smell in the bathroom. The sewer smell was actually prevalent throughout the ship. It wasn't like that on the Dream, so I don't understand why the Sunshine had those smells.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins