3. Pacific Eden
Originally we were thinking to hire a campervan and drive to KI stopping along the way at various sites, but when I checked the availability for short cruises, this one turned up as a viable alternative to a self drive and far cheaper. I read many reviews before booking, many of them unfavorable to the old girl, Pacific Eden, so my expectations were not high. Having cruised with Celebrity the last 3 times and Norwegian Pearl on KISS Kruise 7, I understand there are certain levels of ship and accommodations. The booking process was easy and printing e-tickets and bag tags all straightforward. We were allocated a 1.30pm boarding time and we arrived around 12pm and still got straight through and on board in about 20 mins. Cabin 5083 was set up with 2 singles and 2 bunk singles where a sofa would normally be. We were 2 adults and 2 boys 12yo, my son and his friend. We had requested a queen and the room steward would have made the change for us but we decided to stay with the singles. The cabin was reasonable size with a window type porthole. Plenty of wardrobe space and draws, suitcases slide under the beds. Small curtains that extended about a foot and a half at the base of each single bed served no purpose and looked silly. The curtain that was at the entrance to the room was good as it gave a bit of privacy for bathroom and dressing area. Bedding and towels were very good, almost new I would say. Bathroom amenities we OK and in refillable dispensers in the shower. I didn't know which was the shampoo and which was the body wash as the printing had washed off! Overall the bathroom was functional and although quite old still reasonable looking. Toilet function was fine. Shower over small bath and water temp was mainly good and pressure high enough. Overall the cabin was fine but dated and could use a refurb. Picky people might point out the rust around the window and other such signs of age, but my wife thought it was quite rustic, both metaphorically and literally! Pac Eden is not a big ship, but for 4 days and a smaller passenger list it provided more than enough options for what we wanted. Virtually all the internal guest areas, bars, restaurants, theater, and lounges had been refitted with contemporary decor and looked really good. Outdoor areas including the 2 pool areas were all fine the decks clean and always a bit of ongoing maintenance here and there, but no water or other issues were encountered. The main pool area had a small pool by most standards and 2 hot tubs one of which was out of use for last 2 days. Most of the time the usable tub was full of kids as the pool wasnt that warm and the weather in low 20's. Plenty of chairs and lounges usually available. The adults pool area was not very well frequented, and could have used more shade covers. The kids clubs were just standard level of fitout, a bit small and our boys didnt use them at all. P&O Edge was a big area at the bow end and provided a program of activities which the boys took up on the last day. For $130 they got to do rope walks, flying fox, mechanical bull, laser tag and ride segways. As they enjoyed all the activities I thought it was quite reasonable value. They also got a lot of fun out of playing table tennis on the pool deck and soon they had organised comps with the other kids. Mostly the guests ages would be averagelate 40's- 50's and quite a few over 70's, and there were not that many kids on board but the ones that were seemed all to be well behaved. Now to the food, this is what I enjoy about cruising, especially the variety of restaurant options. We are not big foodies and are not big eaters but we do like variety and quality and Pacific Eden delivered both in spades. Waterfront restaurant is the main dining room. We ate there 1st night and it was quite good. You will have to pay a little extra if you want a steak, but the other options were all pretty good. We ordered all 6 desserts which we shared and they were all delicious. The Pantry really appealed to the kids. Its a bit different to the casual dining on other ships, but I thought the concept worked quite well. Variety of stations including Indian, Mexican, Soup and Salad, Carvery, Pasta and Asian noodles. Sandwiches at lunchtime, 2 dessert stations and fruits always. This was our go to for lunches, and the boys also had 2 dinners there as they loved the stir fry, In my opinion the quality and taste was above average and if we tried something that wasn't to our liking, well just go and try something else! wasnt always easy to get a seat at peak times, but we never waited too long and the serving lines moved quickly. Portion sizes were not what I would consider small. We had breakfast the first morning at the pantry and it was ok, but opted for Waterfront thereafter which was much better, except for the toast which was always cold. The orange pancakes and the eggs florentine you couldn't fault. Service could be a little slow at times but overall quite good. Specialty restaurants, we went to all 3. Angelos was fantastic, I enjoyed a birthday dinner of top quality, and the waiters led the whole restaurant in a happy birthday song. There were 2 other birthdays and 2 anniversaries that all got the same special treatment. Service was excellent and the decor contemporary styling with lots of pictures of Sofia Loren on the walls. What a gorgeous woman she was! The kids had the spaghetti and meatballs and it was superb. I enjoyed a veal cannelloni with wild mushroom sauce which was exquisite. I cant remember the desserts but they were polished off quickly! Quality wines but not a huge selection by the glass and reasonably priced. Dragon Lady was equally good and real fun experience due the the waitresses ever smiling faces. Nothing was a problem. We dined late that night and they just wanted to bring us pretty much everything on the menu. We tried most of it and all was great especially the fried chicken. Luke Mangan Salt was the highlight. Efficient and knowledgeable waiters, a nice clean feel to the place, and exceptional food. $59 extra is worth every cent. We both had steaks which were outstanding, although a little rarer than the medium. Truffle mash a delight. For dessert a combination of my 2 fave desserts, apple crumble and creme brulee which worked a treat. All in all a delightful experience and one that exceeded our expectations. I cant understand some reviewers knocking the food. Either Pac Eden chefs have made a huge improvement recently or some people are just hard to please. Bars, always an important aspect of any cruise! So no drinks packages on a 4 day cruise. Oh how I miss the drinks package. I like my Vodka Martinis and on this cruise you will get served up Smirnoff or Absolute depending on which bar you go to. For me its got to be Belvedere or Grey Goose and they wanted to charge me $32 for one of those which was outrageous. So I mainly stayed with the Absolute martinis from the Mix Bar for $15 and the bar staff at the blue room made a decent Long Island for $15. Most cocktails around the $12-$15 seemed decent value and usually tasted nice and not under poured. Theatre entertainment was surprisingly good. We saw 3 shows and the standard of the singing and dancing reasonably high. The last night party jam in the Dome was great fun. Jazz musos in the Blue room were smoking and the duo acts around the bars also good standard and fun. Kangaroo Island was wonderful but you would need 3 days at least to see everything. We went to Remarkable rocks and Admirals Arch. Both amazing sites. Seals were plentiful. Up close encounters with an Echidna and Kangaroo crossing the road in front of us. Lucky I wasn't going too fast! Overall a lovely place and one we will go back to stay for a week. If you want a hire car go to KI Connect car hire. $80 per day for a new Mitsubishi was good value. Tenders onto the island was 10 mins but it got a bit choppy on the return boat and we were on the water for 45 mins which starting to get a bit of a pain and the pilot wasnt at all communicative about the delay. Oh and the casino was small and had a bad feeling to it. As a punter, the odds were unders on 3 card poker and the grey table covers were quite depressing. I usually do all right on previous cruises and the casino atmosphere on Celebrity is way better and way more fun. I kept a $5 poker chip as a souvenir reminder of how I turned $500 into $5 on Pacific Eden. Overall this cruise exceeded our expectations, and for 4 days/nights it was hard to fault given it is a 3.5 star ship at best.

Short trip to Kangaroo Island

Pacific Eden Cruise Review by Cams63

Cams63’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get P&O Australia Pacific Eden price drops

See above. Location of the cabin was great.