3. Viking Astrild
we picked this cruise to end up the celebration of my 65th birthday. Unfortunately March 5th is not a prime time to go to Europe. I will never book a Europe trip this early in the season. ours was the first for the season on the Elb and your could still see ice floating in parts! Most of the amenities aboard the Astrild were top notch. the glaring detractor and ruination of the cruise was the bedding. unbelievable discomfort. The mattress cover had pieces of cloth sewn all over it to create a "pillowing effect" it was more like a cratering effect. could not sleep first night and complained next morning to a very uncaring staff. was told " all beds are the same,we cannot get you a new mattress." so asked around and got many more passengers to agree on the crummy bedding,to no avail. the chambermaid tried putting two mattress covers on and that made it twice as bad. Finally my spouse and I stripped the bed to the mattress and I tried it without any cover. still miserable. this was the deal breaker for me as I have cruised with Viking on prior occasions including the Grand Tour and Bordeaux. Both of which had wonderful bedding. The Elb is a quaint more narrow river with one or two memorable spots. The weather was horrible. Freezing rain and snow. Cold that bit right through you. Prague was the worst,really really cold. think twice before booking this cruise. Do not do it on the cusp season!

Astrild must mean bad bedding in German

Viking Astrild Cruise Review by cheapskate1

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom
Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
Dear Cheapskate1, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent trip aboard Viking Astrild. We regret to hear that the bedding and weather did not meet expectations. Rest assured, your feedback has been recorded for review by our Executive Team. Should you like to share additional details about your Viking Experience, we would be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. We appreciate this opportunity to respond, and hope you have a wonderful day. Kind regards, Viking Cruises
cheapskate1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Astrild price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin A 221
Horrible bedding. unless Viking changes out all the bedding(not likely) i would not book this cruise. Neither would i book the first cruise of the season. the Airfare deal is not worth freezing your kester off. other than that the boat was typical Viking,very nice.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins