Norwegian Sun Cruise Review
2,215 Reviews

Sailing in a construction zone

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by 300dtc

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Picture Window

This was a bucket list trip for us, almost a year in preparation, lots of planning and anticipation. It was also a trip for my 60th birthday, and bittersweet since I was diagnosed with breast cancer on February 1 and when I got back home from my relaxing trip I would begin my treatments.

Well, it was anything but relaxing...heavy construction onboard closed half the pool deck, part of deck 6, yes the lifeboat access deck, the Champs bar, las ramblas tapas bar, the sports bar was closed all day until 5:30 because of construction above it. There was horrible noise and grinding and drilling going on all day. The particulate matter from scraping up the decking went in our food and drinks. It was terrible. Customer service could do nothing, the captain walked out of a meeting after a few minutes claiming the home office said the work had to be done and there was nothing he could do.

People were getting stuff in their eyes, people with asthma and other breathing issues were getting sick. The crew did their best and were cheerful and smiling.

The ports were good, although I think Corinto Nicaragua needs a lot of improvements before ships come there.

We are waiting now for a better offer from NCL, they offered us a 25% of our cruise fare towards another cruise taken within a year. This isn't enough! We paid full price and were not informed of the construction until we sailed. We had no access to a lot of the ship amenities on a very long voyage. This was a disgraceful lack of care by NCL and was obviously just a way to take a ship thru the Canal and make the unwitting passengers pay for the repositioning!

300dtc's Full Rating Summary