3. Viking Sky
Most people love the Viking Ocean ships - I am in the minority. We have been on 5 Viking river boat cruises so obviously we really like Viking river. I brought the hype for the Viking Ocean and booked the Italian Sojourn. The Viking Sky is OK but no way would I call it luxury but the prices are. I was only able to book a "superior cabin" at a much higher price but the cabin was exactly the same as a regular cabin with the only difference being a pair of very cheap binoculars and bathrobes. Ship is a bit run down, stains on the carpet, varnish on the rails faded away, lots of small things. Ship feels sterile which is supposedly the Nordic style. We are likely spoiled by the Viking river boats. The river boats have a friendlier vibe; more intimate feel. River boat crews feel, to me, more professional, more interested in being helpful. Docking on the ocean boat means you are in an industrial area and generally not close to the city; as opposed to the river boats which dock in the city and, most of the time, you can walk into town. River boats have more included tours - the ocean has few. The ocean optional tours are relatively expensive (relative to other cruise lines). One of the included tours was "on your own" - in other words nothing. Food was nothing special but OK. Buffett ran out of items and the crew seemed uninterested in restocking. For example - Good Friday - one fish dish which they had ran out of and when I asked if they had more got a blank look. Buffet staff is inadequate - understaffed. We had tables with crumbs and food on them. Cabin steward (cabin 3071) was great; he saw that I had a CPAP and, without me asking, furnished us with distilled water. We had a pre-cruise stay in Rome and a post-cruise stay in Venice. They forced us off the ship for the post at 9AM and the hotel check in was 3pm - so we were on our own. No included tours in the pre or the post. River boat cruises pre and post have, in our experience, included tours. Bottom line - I am very unlikely to book another Viking ocean but I have already booked a future Viking river cruise. When returning from tours - Viking let the private security at the terminals abuse passengers - at one port the port security were harassing passengers who beeped the metal detector. Elderly people were forced to stand with legs apart and arms outstretched while the security personal ran their wands over their body. The person in front of me was going through this ordeal and the I could not get passed - the security person (uninformed started yelling at me to move - there was no where to move to. When the ship security did the screen it was not abusive. Last thing - river boat cruises bring on more local enrichment entertainment; ocean did have one but otherwise their idea was to have a passenger give lectures.

I am a Viking fan - river boat fan, not so much ocean - a minority opinion.

Viking Sky Cruise Review by galdenciot

Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
Dear Galdenciot, We’re honored to have you as a five-time, returning river cruise guest. We are disappointed to hear that your experience on our ocean cruise was not as favorable as your river cruise experiences. We hear your feedback regarding details of the ship’s appearance, dining room staffing, and shore excursions offered. Your recognition of your hardworking cabin steward is appreciated, as are your reports of private security behaviors at the port terminal in Rome. Thank you for passing along this detailed review. Should you wish to discuss these concerns further, we welcome you to contact us at Tellus@VikingCruises.com. We hope to hear from you through that outlet, and look forward to impressing you with our signature service on your next cruise with us. Best, Viking Cruises
galdenciot’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sky price drops

Adequate - everyone talks about the heated bathroom floor - big deal.