3. Volendam
I loved the itinerary of my cruise on the Volendam. I sailed from Singapore to Shanghai and discovered many unknown ports and countries. As far as the itinerary was concerned the trip exceeded expectations. As usual the crew from Holland Amerika was great as well. However there are some improvements that could be made. Especially during the second leg of the trip, from Hong Kong to Shanghai, the customs forms were rarely delivered to my room. I had to make sure that I read the daily programm to be sure I would not miss out on something last minute. I know customs are very demanding in this part of the world but if you say you will deliver forms to people's staterooms you should do it. It went wrong at least three times in my case. I was also annoyed by the fact that the laundry I sent out came back with the same stains I had sent it in for. This is the problem if you cannot do laundry by yourself. I would have treated the stains before putting things in the machine, they obviously don't. Last but not least, the menu was quite often the same or maybe I should say that I saw the same dishes come back over and over again. There was less variation then I am used to from other cruises. HAL also seems to cut on things like a pen, a note pad and a picture of the ship in your room. The in-room breakfast also offered less choice than I had on other HAL ships. Maybe this comes because this is a smaller ship, maybe it is a budget cut. On the bright side though were the new bathrooms, I loved the walk in shower. What a great improvement.

Lovely itinerary, room for improvement on the ship

Volendam Cruise Review by Jackie3

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

Jackie3’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin F 1824
I don't know what cabin category I was in, however I was on the dolphin deck forward. I thought that was fine. This cabin is very close to the elevators and stairways, which I like. I would love to be in this stateroom again.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Macau Walking Tour
    Too much time lost on travelling and visiting a casino instead of seeing more of Macau.
    View All 4 Macau Walking Tour Reviews
  • Manila
    Traffic is horrendous in this town. Don't go to Tagatay ridge, it is too far out of town and takes to long. Stay in town when you are there only for the day and visit Intramuros.
    View All 67 Manila Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Manila Cruise Port Review
  • 99 Islands
    Too much time travelling. The bridge is a toiletstop. You are on the bus for 5 to 6 hours to do a 1 hour cruise. It is simply not worth it.
    View All 1 99 Islands Reviews
  • Heavenly Hangzhou
    Again too much travelling time. A 14 hour trip with a lunch at noon and a return to the ship at 9.30 p.m. with no more food. Hangzhou is gorgeous and the Lake and temple great but it takes too much time unless it is better organized. It is not just the 1 hour bullet train but more than an hour on the bus to get to the train station and the waiting times on the train stations as well.
    View All 1 Heavenly Hangzhou Reviews
  • City Tour
    We did not get all that was promissed in the itinerary and shore excursions responds very lame when you ask about it. Do it by yourself and hire a local guide.
    View All 21 City Tour Reviews