3. Carnival Conquest
Staff and service: The true highlight of our experience. Chloe the Cruise Director, our room steward Erwin and everyone else we encountered was positively lovely and wonderful. Cabin (balcony spa deck 1108): see below Dining: We had the flexible "your time" dining but was only able to enjoy the main dining room two nights because the wait on the other nights were SO long - anywhere from 30-60 minutes, which wasn't worth the wait. We ate at the buffet most often and the food was plentiful but simply not satisfying. Also sometimes long lines at the buffet when they'd only have one side open. Blue Iguana and Guys were the best options. Entertainment: We went to the 80s and Hollywood theatre shows and really enjoyed them, as well as one comedy show (with the male comedian) which was hilarious. Shows are short, only 30 mins, so we wish they'd been longer. Also went to the Q&A with Chloe which was fun. Overall Experience: Just felt like we were in a constant "herd" - waiting in lines to embard/debark, waiting for the tender boats, waiting for the buffet, waiting for the main dining room (I did try to book FTTF but it was unfortunately sold out), no availability of lounge chairs, etc. I don't remember it to be this way from past cruises I've taken, though admittedly this was my first time cruising with kids so I'm sure that added to the frustration. The entire week was absolutely a practice in patience which didn't feel relaxing or like a vacation. Enrichment Activities: I'm not sure what they mean by this, but there were people everywhere trying to sell you stuff, felt really weird. They weren't overly aggressive, but it still felt like we were dodging "special offers" on every deck. Fitness & Recreation: Unfortunately did not end up using even though we specifically booked a spa deck room for close access to the gym (alas, kids....) Shore Excursions: We booked our own and not through the cruise to avoid the crowds which we were SUPER happy we did -- the cruise excursions looked packed and like more waiting around. Kids Club: My almost 6 year old son LOVED it, but my 3 year old daughter unfortunately did not, so we still had a pint-sized sidekick with us for all but one evening. She loved the shows too though =) We really wanted to love this cruise but unfortunately would not do it again in hindsight.

A practice in patience

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by HeatherMc

Cabin (balcony spa deck 1108): see below

HeatherMc’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8F 1108
We booked a balcony spa deck room (1108) on the left side which was a poor choice -- there is a deck right above the room with a ping pong table, jumbo chess board and corn hole which meant kids were running back and forth at all hours. Very loud. And the balcony is barely covered which means there's no sun protection and worse people on the deck above you are staring down upon you. No privacy. The odd # spa deck rooms would have been a far better choice since the adults-only deck is on top of them. Also the boat was very rocky for 2 nights and we definitely felt it up here. We took preventive motion sickness meds fortunately which worked, but it was tough sleeping.
Spa Deck Balcony Cabins

• Amber Cove
    We had really wanted to go to Monkey Jungle so we hired a driver for the day, but unfortunately the monkey experience still wasn't available for our trip dates, so the driver just took us around "real" Puerto Plata - stopping in the area of town he grew up in, we met his family, etc. That was really cool. Also visited a bunch of other stops - cigar making, chocolate factory, fort, etc. People are trying to sell you stuff EVERYWHERE and it's cash only, even at the nice beach restaurant we went to (D'Chiringuito Bar Restaurant which was AWESOME -- the best meal we had all week, I had the fresh seafood skewers with fried plantains, amazing)
    View All 659 Amber Cove Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Amber Cove Cruise Port Review
  • Everglades Tour
    Rented a car and went to Sawgrass Recreational Area for an airboat tour -- we saw one alligator in the wild and then got to hold a baby alligator as well as see a lot of other wildlife. Cool experience.

Then we drove to Butterfly World which was also cool but EXPENSIVE (nearly $100 for 2 adults and 2 kids, even with the AAA discount). We had to look at it as donating money to a good cause vs actually getting a $100 experience.
    View All 110 Everglades Tour Reviews
  • Stingray Swim
    Rented a car to drive around the island, fed the wild donkeys, drinks at Bohio Beach Resort, lunch at Osprey Beach Resort, quick stop at Governor's beack, then took a private boat to Gibbs Cay to swim with the sting rays (well, just one, but still cool).
    View All 66 Stingray Swim Reviews
  • Half Moon Cay
    Slow tendering process, beach was SO crowded, lines for BBQ lunch, etc etc
    View All 1,129 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Private Boat Tour
    We hired a private power boat to take us to a few different islands for snorkeling and animal spotting. We saw dolphins, sea turtles, beautiful fish and also collected sea biscuit shells -- all very cool but didn't feel like great value for the money ($450 for a 4 hour trip without lunch on a VERY basic boat, not even padded seats). Have taken similar private boat tours in other Caribbean locations for far less than included far more (IE: fresh lobster lunch).
    View All 12 Private Boat Tour Reviews