3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
This was our first cruise since the ship was refitted in late 2016, just after we did the Cape Horn cruise on her. Some things are better like the Stateroom décor, the Carinthia lounge is a great improvement on the Winter Garden. I feel though that the Kings court is a great big miss. The cool white marble type décor is not in synch with the rest of the ship which has a warm colour scheme. With the shades down before service it is just a great white blob. There is no flow and people mill around, those selecting food with those looking to choose collide with those using the area to access 1 side of the promenade deck from the other. The seating seems to be much closer violating one's sense of personal space. The glass dividers separating the seating areas from the walkways have been removed. Whoever thought that putting a high table for 2 in the telephone booth was a good idea needs to think again, I also noted that with the age of the cruisers on board the high tables were used as a last resort. The specialty dining area in the evening prevents access to the Kings court from stairwell D, OK in good weather but when Force 7 winds closed the outside deck this was a real nuisance. I miss the glass elevators! Food in the Britannia was often cold and my fish was twice not only cold but had a hard layer on it as if it had been sitting under heating lights too long. the service was slow and the wine waiter was not happy to be questioned over the wine and not at all helpful the first night of the cruise. He did improve later. Have they cut down on staff, 3 times we had to leave before dessert and coffee to get to the 10.30. show. Embarkation went smoothly even if most passengers turned up early, we are Platinum so had priority . Disembarkation was also smooth. Other than the dining room the service was very good, the pursers staff were very helpful. We enjoyed all the ports but as we are from NZ we already knew them all. Hobbiton Evening Feast was magical. Special thanks to the port staff in Tauranga who took the time to retrieve my sunhat left on the shuttle bus and see it got onboard to the pursers desk. We will go on the QM2 again but will tend to avoid the Kings Court.

Remastering a disappointment

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Train lover

We will go on the QM2 again but will tend to avoid the Kings Court.
Train lover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony, sheltered
Cabin BY 5208
Very comfortable, it was close to the laundrette which is a bonus. No extraneous noise. Kept clean by Dong the steward. Plenty of storage but I always take extra hangars for the wardrobe.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins