3. Crown Princess
I traveled with my mom, who has mobility issues. We both wanted good food, good entertainment, and we weren't interested in a party atmosphere, so from our research the Princess line seemed to fit the bill. We hit upon an excellent deal on a mini-suite, and so we booked a cruise on the Crown Princess from March 11-16. Embarkation was great. I indicated in advance that my mom would require wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation and everything went smoothly. We had no complaints whatsoever about the food. From the buffet to the main dining room to the Specialty restaurant (Sabatini's) we enjoyed every meal. The service was outstanding, particularly at Afternoon Tea (which we enjoyed twice). We did one excursion, the Panoramic City Tour with lunch and swimming at Cabarete beach in Puerto Plata - and it exceeded our expectations. It was well-organized, the bus was comfortable, and the driver and tour guide were excellent. The driver waited patiently for us as we were always the last to get off, and my mom's walker was stowed carefully each time we boarded the bus. At the beach we had lots of time to relax and swim, lunch was great, and the price was right - the 6-hour tour with lunch was only $39 USD. On the ship we enjoyed a movie under the stars (The Greatest Showman) which was a lot of fun, and we saw the funniest comedian I've ever seen live, (and I'm from Montreal where we know comedy) Steve Caouette. I wish we had been able to see and do more but five days goes fast, and before we knew it it was over. There were only two blemishes during the whole week, and they were toward the end of the cruise. On the last full day on our way to afternoon tea we learned that someone forgot to unlock the 6th floor elevator, and by the time we found someone to unlock it we were late for tea. Not a big deal but it kind of threw us off schedule. The biggest negative was on disembarkation day. We were told to go to the Vines wine bar for 7:30 AM. to wait for wheelchair assistance. In the meantime I got us breakfast at the International Café and as I was doctoring my coffee I put the empty sugar packets on the counter and was promptly scolded by one of the staff in the specialty coffee section. He then went to the trouble to point out the small tin garbage receptacle on the counter, threw my used spoon dramatically into a buss tub, and picked up and slammed the garbage tin on the counter and said "Garbage!" very loudly for emphasis. This was obviously a person who was overtired and stressed, and I hope he takes some time off soon to recharge. I was tired, too, after a week of travelling with a disabled person. I didn't need drama in the last hour of a vacation that was two years in the planning. Overall a great cruise and we're already planning our next one - we'd sail with Princess again in a heartbeat.

Great first-time cruise!

sclark68’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D 303
The cabin was plenty big for two people. We has requested two twin beds and we got a queen, so our cabin steward José came back and made it right. José was courteous and attentive, and it was nice to come back to a clean cabin at the end of each day. There was lots of space to hang and store clothes, two TVs which we appreciated, a couch, and a spacious balcony with unobstructed views.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins